• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Kokedama

tim

Inspired by Antonis thread http://www.ukaps.org/forum/threads/my-kokedama-venture.31999/ I thought I'd give my own a go :)
Mud pie mix of worm castings from the garden and some tescos cat litter
13758980665_0909f77ea0_c.jpg

Some moss I found growing on a local fallen tree
13758986735_f8c8ed2a67_c.jpg

Lined a bowl with cling film to shape the mud pie ball and added some small pieces of hydrolecea to help with drainage
13759369334_719afc3544_c.jpg

Shaped the ball
13759390194_6c8cc56185_c.jpg

The substrate ball was then covered with the moss and tied on with fishing line I then pushed a hole in the top and pushed in a cutting I had from a money tree
13759927214_2948dee78e_c.jpg

Kokedama meaning poor mans bonsai, I thought the plant choice apt :)

Last edited:
Hi Tim
Your "money tree" is Crassulaceae family. Most of those are desert plants, not really loving constant wet feet. This one is crassula ovata, I think. May work, though.
Mick.

Hi Tim
Your "money tree" is Crassulaceae family. Most of those are desert plants, not really loving constant wet feet. This one is crassula ovata, I think. May work, though.
Mick.
Hi mick, it is indeed crassula ovata, got a couple of cuttings from my grandad last year and just stuck them in pots with cat litter, hoping the percentage of cat litter and hydrolecea in the bottom will keep the roots dry enough for it to thrive whilst a quick daily spray will keep the moss healthy, as you said may work :p Still nothing ventured nothing gained :lol:

Mmmmm, mud pie.:D . Neat looks smart on the Rock/ plinth.[DOUBLEPOST=1397156736][/DOUBLEPOST]Mmmmm, mud pie.:D . Neat looks smart on the Rock/ plinth. Reminds me of the plant in wallie.

Reactions: tim
Mmmmm, mud pie.:D . Neat looks smart on the Rock/ plinth.[DOUBLEPOST=1397156736][/DOUBLEPOST]Mmmmm, mud pie.:D . Neat looks smart on the Rock/ plinth. Reminds me of the plant in wallie.
Yeah mud pie brings out the kid in me :) funny my little 8yr old said daddy your disgusting, your hands are filthy go and wash them, city kids eh :rolleyes: I'll be off out tomorrow to find myself a ceramic welly :D

That is a nice one, Tim! The moss will most likely start to dry out now, with the weather warming up, but it will still be ok. I water mine once a week - a dip in water for 30 min and I spray them once a day. Both of them are growing well, so I am sure the crassula will be ok, as long as you don't keep it's feet too wet, as Mick mentioned ;)

Money plant or jade plant. The thing can go months without water, I usually water mine when the leaves begin to shrival. They're a slow grower, if you water it more when its colder it can flower. If you feed it iron the edges of the leaves will tint red.

Back