• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Killing algae without using easy carbon????

samboco

Hi,

I'm doing a re-scape of my tank and i plan to re-use my rocks and wood. However these items do have a fair bit of algae growing on them that I want rid of before I put them back into my rejuvenated tank. I am aware that a high dose of easy carbon applied directly to said algae will kill it but does anybody know of an alternative way to ensure the algae is dead or removed?

cheers

Excellent, thought that might do it but best to ask first! does it have to be neat or should I use a dilute solution?

samboco said:
Excellent, thought that might do it but best to ask first! does it have to be neat or should I use a dilute solution?
Dilute solution, soak overnight, brush clean next day, wash and brush thoroughly and just to be safe soak overnight in tap water dechlorinater solution. Done.

I,ve used a jet washer in the past , it worked really well on the wood in particular as it takes a small layer off aswell so comeing back

bigmel said:
I,ve used a jet washer in the past , it worked really well on the wood in particular as it takes a small layer off aswell so comeing back
Thats the best idea.

boiling water is probably the safest option, just need to have a pan big enough to leave the rocks in.

.lol...thats true :D

I,m up North and its not stopped raining all day !

sometimes boiling rocks isn't the safest option, they can sometimes contain trapped air with in turn can explode.

samboco said:
Hi,

I'm doing a re-scape of my tank and i plan to re-use my rocks and wood. However these items do have a fair bit of algae growing on them that I want rid of before I put them back into my rejuvenated tank. I am aware that a high dose of easy carbon applied directly to said algae will kill it but does anybody know of an alternative way to ensure the algae is dead or removed?

cheers
leave it out to dry, then brush off the dead algae :rolleyes:

Back