• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Kentish Ragstone

Paul Willi

Hi
Does anyone know if Kentish Ragstone is safe for aquarium use. I think it’s a type of limestone which makes me wary. There’s a nice big pile near me trying to save the pennies 😁
Cheers
Paul 🍻

From a brief stint in another life bashing wooden pegs into the ground in a ragstone quarry it is more like a sandstone so should be ok. Get a bit, leave it to dry and then pour some vinegar or Viakal on it. If it fizzes then it will dissolve, harden your water (if it is possible to make Kent water any harder!) and raise the pH.

Sent from my [null] using Tapatalk

Hi all,
Does anyone know if Kentish Ragstone is safe for aquarium use. I think it’s a type of limestone which makes me wary. There’s a nice big pile near me trying to save the pennies
Yes, it is a hard <"Cretaceous age limestone"> with lots of shell fragments.
How hard is your water? If your water is already hard, then I shouldn’t worry too much about using it.
if it is possible to make Kent water any harder!
As the other have said, if you have hard water, and don't tend to inject CO2, it won't dissolve and <"make your water any harder">.
bashing wooden pegs into the ground in a ragstone quarry it is more like a sandstone
Apparently usually interbedded <"with"Hassock", a softer sandy rock">, in the Hythe formation.

cheers Darrel

Back