• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Keeping the stems growing straight

LMuhlen

Are there any husbandry tricks or particular parameters that prevent stem plants from growing horizontally or even doing a 180° and growing downward?

I'm having issues with some rotalas and ludwigia mini super red.

Are there any husbandry tricks or particular parameters that prevent stem plants from growing horizontally or even doing a 180° and growing downward?

Let the plant grow, once they fill out the bottom they will grow upwards in search of more light. You could also try less light if you want.

Some plants will naturally grow horizontally if they have space. It's their nature. This applies to some rotalas. Some plants will also do that when exposed to heavy light. One trick is to plant them compact with other plants around. This forced them to grow upward.

Not to be a contrarian but it’s my understanding that rotalas crawl as a hormonal response to being cramped/planted densely?

I don’t know where I got this idea from though.

53D422A5-DCBF-400F-BF20-7A50BAFA05E8.png
Seems I’m 100% wrong.

Back