• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Keeping/feeding stiphodon gobies

Sergey

Hi guys,

I saw Stiphodon gobies (S. atropurpureus and S.elegans) at LFS and I'm totally in love with them. Having researched however, I found that it may be tricky to feed them. I've got a 60 litre heavily planted tank, but there hasn't been a lot of algae lately, I'm afraid I starved a couple of Otos before I figured that out. If I decide to keep Stiphodons, I'll have to supplement them with additional food. My question for the keepers then: what kind of food will they accept? On the Internet, people suggest Repashy foods, but it's not available in my country. My otos seem to be fine with Zucchini slices, would that fit Stiphodons too?

Any advice on keeping them would be greatly appreciated.

Mine scoot about pecking at the substrate, rocks and attach to the glass. I feed them cucumber which they seem to eat and algae tablets. I love mine, they have lots of character and interact with each other quite a lot

Hi @MirandaB , thanks for your reply.

Seems like Ebo Aquaristik can be delivered to my country (Finland), thanks for the clue! Though, I've started to have second thoughts about Stiphodons lately, I don't think my tank is best for them. Maybe I'll set up a separate tank for them later, with lots of light, flow, and algae.

My brother has had a S. atropurpureus for about 18 months in a normal type tank and I'm surprised but it's done amazing. When he first got it I added some pebbles out of his pond but quickly saw it took the odd flake food and I've seen it eat daphnia. So biofilms and algae are important but possibly not the only food source they will take. I'd quite like some myself and the food Miranda listed definitely looks interesting.

My brother has had a S. atropurpureus for about 18 months in a normal type tank and I'm surprised but it's done amazing. When he first got it I added some pebbles out of his pond but quickly saw it took the odd flake food and I've seen it eat daphnia. So biofilms and algae are important but possibly not the only food source they will take. I'd quite like some myself and the food Miranda listed definitely looks interesting.

It's not exactly a cheap food but more convenient and less stinky than Repashy :sick: only downside is most fish really like it,as do shrimp.
I can also recommend the insect paste one and the supersoft Artemia both of which I use regularly.

Hi @Sergey

I think the following is worth taking on board:
To be honest they do better in a cool,hillstream type set up with a lot of low

I suspect that @MirandaB meant to say 'flow' but I may be wrong. However, these gobies are gorgeous but their natural habitat is fast-moving, highly-oxygenated clear streams. You may want to learn more at the following:

https://www.seriouslyfish.com/species/stiphodon-atropurpureus/

https://www.fishbase.de/summary/Stiphodon-atropurpureus.html

JPC

Last edited:
I was considering picking up a couple of these this week, however I’ve been put off that they can climb out of glass thanks and mine is open rim. Also they need to be added to a mature tank which mine isn’t yet.

Back