• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Keeping cycle going in plant only aquarium

Werwa

I attained the cycle in my newly set up aquarium that has no plants or fish by dosing ammonia. I will be adding my plants next week and want to wait a few weeks before adding fish. How can I keep the cycle going and my BB alive until I add fish? Thank you for your help.

I cycled my filter before filling the tank for six weeks plus whilst doing a DSM with ADA AS (aqua soil) in tank, tub of water and had the filter running and just urinated in a glass and tipped it into the tub every few days. Job done and started adding fish after a few days after filling tank. If you have used ADA AS then you will fine as it leaches ammonia, however you still need four to six weeks for the AS to cycle as well from first fill.

I cycled my filter before filling the tank for six weeks plus whilst doing a DSM with ADA AS (aqua soil) in tank, tub of water and had the filter running and just urinated in a glass and tipped it into the tub every few days. Job done and started adding fish after a few days after filling tank. If you have used ADA AS then you will fine as it leaches ammonia, however you still need four to six weeks for the AS to cycle as well from first fill.

:wideyed: i've never heard of it but it makes sense.

I am using Seachem Flourite that doesn’t leach ammonia. Do I need to continue to add ammonia after planting until I get fish to prevent BB from dying?

I am using Seachem Flourite that doesn’t leach ammonia. Do I need to continue to add ammonia after planting until I get fish to prevent BB from dying?

No, you don’t need to add any ammonia. Just plant the tank, fertilise regularly to feed the plants and get them actively growing - the plants themselves will generate sufficient organic waste to feed bacterial colonies - then after around 6 weeks you should be good to start gradually adding livestock.

Hi all,
Welcome to UKAPS,
Do I need to continue to add ammonia after planting until I get fish to prevent BB from dying?
I will be adding my plants next week and want to wait a few weeks before adding fish. How can I keep the cycle going and my BB alive until I add fish?
Dr Timothy Hovanec's comments about Bacterial supplementsNo, you don’t need to add any ammonia. Just plant the tank, fertilise regularly to feed the plants and get them actively growing - the plants themselves will generate sufficient organic waste to feed bacterial colonies - then after around 6 weeks you should be good to start gradually adding livestock
No, just what @Wookii says. Have a look at our thread <"Dr Timothy Hovanec's comments about Bacterial supplements">, it explains why cycling isn't the <"process that we thought it was">.

If we didn't have plants we would still need some form of <"ammonia based cycling">.

cheers Darrel

Last edited:
My tank is plant only, Tropica soil powder leaches Ammonia. But I think it would have run out after 155 days after planting. I do have snails, but still.
Everything is going OK and I have never added Ammonia, just TNC Complete and Dennerle Carbo Elixir BIO once a day.
So I would say, no to Ammonia.

Thanks to everyone who responded. Very much appreciated

Back