• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Keeping a bare bottom tank... bare bottom... if you know what I mean!

kadoxu

Hi,

(If you don't want a background story, skip 3 paragraphs... :lol:)

Last year I started keeping Fancy Goldfish. I have 11 of these (wildly overstocked, I know) in a Juwel Rio 240, bare bottom setup, plastic ornamental plants just to give some texture to it, floating plants to keep the water a bit nicer for them, some huge ramshorn snails to help keeping it clean for a bit longer, and a EHEIM Pro 4+ 600 to keep up with the huge amounts of waste these poop factories produce, and an air curtain that helps to keep the bottom clean by creating a bit of circular flow that slowly pushes fish poop to the filter intake.

This tank has been running for 9 months now, nothing wrong with it, fish are happy and healthy, just a bit of poop build up near the filter intake, but I know how to fix that one.

Now, I also made myself a member of the Goldfish Society of Great Britain, and they are going to do a "Pearlscale Challenge" were they give a couple of fish to interested members, so they can grow them up and take them to a couple shows during the next year or so. I'm picking up 2 of these on Sunday, so I set up a nice "container" (can't really call tank to a £5 plastic tub) with a couple sponge filters, floating plants, etc...

The issue: Debris build up on the bottom of the tank.
So I'm trying to come up with something to help me fix it. I've search loads, but aren't really 100% happy with any of the options I found.

Option 1 - I kinda like this, but building an internal overflow for a plastic tub seems too much trouble... I do have some ideas on how to achieve this though.

Option 2 - Also like the idea of this connected to a spray bar that pushes debris into it, but couldn't really find cheap polyester tube. Probably something similar with PVC pipes?

Any ideas?

A couple more details about the "container", it's a 50L clear plastic container, I really don't want to make holes in it, and will be at ground level. I'll provide some pics later, if I can.

This article may give you pause regarding keeping fish long term in plastic

Microplastics in Bottled Water

At the least check your bin is food grade, then plasticizers must meet specific guidelines
Lighting also impacts fish appearance, in general iridophores develop best in sunlight

Have fun with your project :)

At the least check your bin is food grade, then plasticizers must meet specific guidelines
Lighting also impacts fish appearance, in general iridophores develop best in sunlight

From the article:

It's not clear how the plastic is getting into the bottled water — whether it's the water source itself or the air or the manufacturing and bottling process.

The plastic bin should be food grade. Apart from that, there's no issue...Microplastics are everywhere ;)

The point of the article link was more about the fact that plastic residues are isolated from fish organs & tissue, it's not just "storage" but also biochemical modifications at varied levels of metabolism
(though that may've been discussed in the associated reports :oops: )

I hate reading these articles, the investigative reporting is always lacking

Yes Goldies are indeed poop machines.
I am a Member with them aswell, but not been to a meetup for years.
Have a look at these, I like Joeys idea alot.
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=undergravel+jet+system

Thanks Gill!

Thanks @alto! I don't plan to keep them there for long... just "ran out" of quarantine tanks! :lol:

Don't forget to ditch the plastic filters too :) , and any fish that have been in contact with plastic :) I am now going to search to get me some glass external filters :rolleyes:
C'mon man... You made your point, but this is no longer helping anyone, is it?

Now back to topic...
I tried a small pump in a corner of the "container" to check if the flow would circulate around the bottom, and as expected, it doesn't. The format of the container makes the flow go upwards when it hits a wall... So I'll need to use a spraybar in the bottom for sure.

The container's pics:
20180317_110518.jpg
20180317_110528.jpg

So, I built an internal canister filter out of a bottle... added a spray bar and positioned the filter horizontally to see how it worked. Not too bad, but I'm still not too happy with it, so I'm gonna try to make it a bit shorter so it works vertically, leaving less places in the container for debris to build up.

20180319_195448.jpg

20180319_195508.jpg

at risk of sounding simple, depending on cleaning schedule id just siphon out the bottom crap...with goldfish you'll be looking at likely bi-weekly water changes anyway in a container that size, so it may be a non-existent problem

How about just a canister filter next to it, with a spraybar to get some circular flow ( like we want in CO2 tanks) and lower the intake till it is on the bottom? And flow it sidewise, not front to back.

How about just a canister filter next to it, with a spraybar to get some circular flow ( like we want in CO2 tanks) and lower the intake till it is on the bottom? And flow it sidewise, not front to back.
The problem is I can't have too much flow with Fancy Goldfish in the tank and canister filters should be at least 10cm bellow water level to work properly, because they need a proper siphon to work properly. Even if I could run it horizontally (not sure if I can), it would be a PITA to prime.
Anyway, I think I'll be able to do something with my "internal" canister filter. I just haven't had much time to play around with it during the week.

It can work but you need to prime it manually, i.e. "the mouth method". ;) Once you get the hoses full the filter should run. Alternatively you can prime the filter on another tank then just move it, taking care to keep the hoses full. Thats how I did it the last time. All my plastic fish kingdom sits on the floor:)

Back