• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Kcl for potassium?

Mitchel

I want to start using KCL as a potassium source.
But I see that I am also adding Cl to this. Is that harmful?

tia, Mitch :thumbup:

Some people say that chlorides are slightly harmful compared to sulfates. I don't quite think so, and in any case, the difference seems of low importance. Perhaps some breeders of problematic fish know better...
What I consider more important is not to overdose potassium. It may cause imbalance among potassium, magnesium, and calcium uptake by plants.

What I consider more important is not to overdose potassium. It may cause imbalance among potassium, magnesium, and calcium uptake by plants.
What do you think is a safe ppm, about 25ppm potassium?

I want to start using KCL as a potassium source.
But I see that I am also adding Cl to this. Is that harmful?

tia, Mitch :thumbup:
What are the water parameters? GH/KH ? Substrate?

No problem using KCL but it truly will add lot of Chloride if you going for 25 ppm K, this is extremely high for both K and Cl in my opinion.

What are the water parameters? GH/KH ? Substrate?

No problem using KCL but it truly will add lot of Chloride if you going for 25 ppm K, this is extremely high for both K and Cl in my opinion.
Don't have water parameters yet. But I'm going to use ADA aquasoil, lean-dose approach.
But why is that too high? If you use the EI you'll have between 10-30ppm potassium. And according to the ADA approach (lean-dose), the potassium goes up to 25ppm

Perhaps use K2CO3?

Don't have water parameters yet. But I'm going to use ADA aquasoil, lean-dose approach.
But why is that too high? If you use the EI you'll have between 10-30ppm potassium. And according to the ADA approach (lean-dose), the potassium goes up to 25ppm
I believe there are endless topics on this same question which are already covered here on this forum. @_Maq_ can probably send you in the right direction.
Perhaps use K2CO3
I would use KHCO3, this is same as using ADA Brighty K, Easy to find and replicate. The KH coming from KHCO3 will be neturilized by ADA soil.

You ought to know your water. That's essential. Your water processing company should provide you with an analysis.
Frankly, I've asked myself that question many many times. Why do they recommend so much potassium?
I have experimented with that and I can tell you that increased potassium has never solved any problem, never improved growth. On the other hand, I know for sure that in some instances, decreasing potassium proved beneficial.
If your water contains 10 mg/L NO3, 2 mg/L K is sufficient.
Perhaps use K2CO3?
Yes.

Back