• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

KCl and KH2PO4 solubility

I would be careful with Steam Iron Water as it may have perfume in it!
De-ionsed water for cars will be okay!

Hi all,
avoid battery top up fluid, as that may not be just deionised water (even if labelled as such) ... Could contain sulphuric acid!
I would be careful with Steam Iron Water as it may have perfume in it!
I didn't know that, I always just get a small amount from the <"lab. DI unit">. I don't know exactly how much DI water we get through in a week (for rinsing the glassware etc), but it will be hundreds of litres.
I know this is an old post but wanted to check if De-Ionised Water the stuff they use in cars and irons could be used in my macro mix? Or will the lack of ions affect the salts.
Distilled, <"DI or RO water is perfect">, it is the lack of ions that makes it suitable, it is just a blank slate to start off with. What we call "water" is really a weak solution of salts with H2O as the solvent. Because H2O is an <"amphoteric solvent"> a lot of substances will go into solution in it.

Rain-water will also do at a pinch, it is <"steam distilled"> before cloud formation and only picks up atmospheric pollutants. The problem with tap water is that it often comes from a limestone aquifer and is fully saturated with calcium (Ca++) and bicarbonate (2HCO3-) ions, and it is these ions that then form <"insoluble compounds"> like calcium phosphate complexes.

cheers Darrel

In my case it is definitely Mn. It is quite interesting that I can even control plants growth rate by changing Mn dose (by defining Mn:Fe ratio in my micro dosing). Algae is also Mn defficient surprisingly (or not so surprisingly).

My tank that’s been running for 3 years and only had 2 waterchanges with 0.15ppm of Mn dosed every week as part of micro addition, GH and KH are above 10 , TDS has climbed over the years from about 150ppm to over 500ppm, Mn is still only reading around 0.1ppm at any measured point (Using a Hannah Colorimeter). Unchelated Mn won’t accumulate and will drop out of solution quite quickly if you forget to dose regularly.

05135E67-C8FA-44CB-AC09-0F73FCC752C0.jpeg

Tank looked like this at time of testing -

EE7EF52C-2199-4C42-B6DC-70B22A95383F.jpeg

:)

Is it possible to use the microwave to heat the solution and increase the solubility ?

Hi all,
Is it possible to use the microwave to heat the solution and increase the solubility ?
Yes, solubility increases for most salts with temperature, <"carbonates are the exception">. The problem is that as the water cools they tend to come back out of solution, the <"least soluble salt first">. You can increase carbonate solubility by reducing the temperature <"and/or adding CO2">, but the same applies, as the temperature rises, or CO2 escapes, the carbonates come back out of solution.

When we make up stock solutions in the lab. we use a magnetic stirrer and hot plate, but you still can't exceed the total solubility limits.

cheers Darrel

Hi all,

Yes, solubility increases for most salts with temperature, <"carbonates are the exception">. The problem is that as the water cools they tend to come back out of solution, the <"least soluble salt first">. You can increase carbonate solubility by reducing the temperature <"and/or adding CO2">, but the same applies, as the temperature rises, or CO2 escapes, the carbonates come back out of solution.

When we make up stock solutions in the lab. we use a magnetic stirrer and hot plate, but you still can't exceed the total solubility limits.

cheers Darrel
So it's a false good idea, i don't use any carbonate i think, chloride and sulfates mostly, is the microwave change salt reaction, It seems to me that the microwave makes the water molecules rub together to heat up ? won't alter the salt ? thx

Hi all,
It seems to me that the microwave makes the water molecules rub together to heat up ? won't alter the salt ?
It is literally <"just the heating">, it doesn't matter how you heat the water.

solcurve1.gif

i think, chloride and sulfates mostly,
All chlorides (other than <"silver chloride (AgCl)"> are soluble.

The issue would come with compounds like calcium sulphate (CaSO4.2H2O) which have low solubilities <"0.26 g/100ml at 25 °C (dihydrate)"> and where heating won't make much difference to that.

cheers Darrel

Last edited:
Hi all,
I use the JBL potassium test kit.
It gets a mention earlier in <"the thread">. It should work OK, other than the difficulty of saying exactly when the "X" has disappeared.

Potassium (K) is one of the easiest metals to test for with <"analytical kit">, either ion selective electrode or flame photometry AAS, ICP etc.

cheers Darrel

Thanks, i succeded the mix for K2SO4, KNO3,CaCl2, MgSo4,Urea, all in individual bottle of course for a more precise dosage, the only one that trouble me is KH2PO4, there is always few in the bottom. I've been surprise with K2SO4, crystal clear, once i shake it, you see all the potassium :)

It might be a dumb question but to be sure, my 500 ml K2SO4 + H2O i made is my storage backup bottle. I made that mix to deliver 2 ppm K every 1.6 ml. My little pump 100ml deliver 1.6 ml. So if i'm right as long as i don't add anaything, the ppm never change ? i mean if i take 100 ml from the storage bottle and put it to the pump bottle, the 1.6 ml will still deliver 2ppm K ? thx

It might be a dumb question but to be sure, my 500 ml K2SO4 + H2O i made is my storage backup bottle. I made that mix to deliver 2 ppm K every 1.6 ml. My little pump 100ml deliver 1.6 ml. So if i'm right as long as i don't add anaything, the ppm never change ? i mean if i take 100 ml from the storage bottle and put it to the pump bottle, the 1.6 ml will still deliver 2ppm K ? thx
Hi @eminor, Yes, if indeed the storage bottle delivers 2ppm per 1.6 ml to your tank and you transfer 100 ml from the storage bottle to a 100 ml pump bottle it will deliver the same 2 ppm. per 1.6 ml. pump... Do shake the storage bottle well before you transfer to the pump bottle.

Cheers,
Michael

Last edited:
Back