• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Kauai - Iwagumi

Ian Holdich

yet another journal (lol). The dutch got taken down yesterday, leaving me with a empty glass box.

tank - 20ltr cube

lighting - 11 watt arc pod

Filtration - Resun Cyclone external filter

Substrate - Colombo florabase

Ferts - TPN plus daily

C02 - Yeast method vis glass diffuser

Plants - Riccia, Cryptocoryne costata, Eleocharis parvula

Livestock - Ember tetras

Full tank
newiwagumi.jpg

The rocks (they were found locally)

newiwagumi2.jpg

newiwagumi3.jpg

newiwagumi4.jpg

this tank is done as a project as i have been asked to help with another cubed tank. Hopefully it'll grow well and look OK.

Comment and critiques welcome.

Great little tank.
How are you finding the resun cyclone. I have used the eden501, boyu, jebo and sun suns ones and like them alot.

i'm loving the Resun, Gill, well worth the money!

right, i have had a little move around. I have bought a couple of pots of HC, just to see if it will take off in this tank. If it does i might add some more. Also, a few Cherry shrimp added from the other tank.

HC.jpg

hc4.jpg

hc3.jpg

hc2.jpg

like it mate, nice to see some different types of rocks being used, i maybe would of planted the hc in smaller clumps also i hope the light is enough, im sure itll grow but just slowly, you have all other bases coverd in terms of good substrate ferts co2, how is the flow?

cheers mate

thanks for the comment nayr88!

I did try to use more softer rocks, most of the ones that are being seen lately are quite harsh and sharp looking. In keeping with the kitchen, i thought a softer look would make a change. It looks better in real life! lol

As for the flow, i'm really impressed by the resun external, it 200lph, so theres loads of flow in there.

I really like it, Ian. :thumbup:

Always a big fan of using locally collected stuff, and the different in texture and colour to the usual iwagumi rocks is very refreshing.

Like Ryan says, you'll get improved HC coverage by splitting into more portions.

I look forward to seeing this one develop. :D

Thanks for the comment George!

I'm quite lucky when it comes to stone, i'm sure you know Lincoln?, but i live opposite Hartsholme country park, and at the back of there is a disused quarry (mainly pea gravel), its mainly lakes now, but there is a spot that's (sshh) fenced off and there is a myriad of stone and pebbles of all kinds. Theres not much dark stone, it all tend to be light. There's some limestone to stay away from. I may split the HC this afternoon. If it takes off i may get a couple of more pots and remove the riccia.

ianho said:
Thanks for the comment George!

I'm quite lucky when it comes to stone, i'm sure you know Lincoln?, but i live opposite Hartsholme country park, and at the back of there is a disused quarry (mainly pea gravel), its mainly lakes now, but there is a spot that's (sshh) fenced off and there is a myriad of stone and pebbles of all kinds. Theres not much dark stone, it all tend to be light. There's some limestone to stay away from. I may split the HC this afternoon. If it takes off i may get a couple of more pots and remove the riccia.

haha,
i know exactly where this little spot is!
cheers!

just another quick update

this is now a full shrimp tank, no more fish in it. CRS added...

CRS.jpg

CRS2.jpg

CRS3.jpg

CRS4.jpg

couldn't resist the tank shot,lol

CRS5.jpg

Coming along nicely mate, nice shrimp, where they much? My lfs has got some in and there not as good as that so would be good to compare.cheers.

thanks nayr88!

The shrimp were 4 x £20, so quite reasonable for the quality. I have some in my main tank, but they are no way as good quality and they was 3 x £20. MA in lincoln have some good shrimp at the moment. They have some Ninjas in again, Tigers, CRS, Cherry's, Bee's and Cardinals.

heres a couple of pics, i have moved the main stone over towards the left by a few CM's

stonemove.jpg

stonemove2.jpg

stonemove3.jpg

problems...I have diatoms which the shrimp aren't touching, and i can't trim the Riccia as there are shrimp-lets hiding in there!

PS. Glassware courtesy of Andy 'AC'.

Looks great mate, there rocks are brilliant both the colour and the texture are really complementary to the scape, the layouts bang on aswell, all you need now is an inline heater and the tank will be virtually empty of equipment :D

Good to see some growth on hc, it can be a slow mutha at times, but hey its growing and the tanks algae free so that's good.

thanks a lot nayr88.

I wish i could get an inline to fit behind the tank, but theres no room. I will be taking the heater out soon, it'll soon be summer! lol

Quick update...

Since using Floranaxis i have seen some brilliant growth in this tank, i would recommend this product! It is now C02-less and has been for about 3 weeks. So the dosing at the moment is 24hr JBL flora and 4 drops of Floranaxis. The HC is doing really well.

kiwag1.jpg

shrimplet!
kiwag2.jpg

kiwag3.jpg

Mexican stand off.
kiwag4.jpg

kiwag5.jpg

Back