• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Juwel Vision 260 - lower water level

simonm74

Hi,

I'm considering upgrading from a Rio 125 to a Vision 260 as it's the right size for the space I have, but I find the proportions a bit wrong (I prefer tanks at least twice as long as they are tall).

One solution I was considering is to run the tank with the water level about 10cm lower than suggested, to allow some of the plants hopefully to grow above the water level and flower etc. I'd leave the existing hood and lights in place.

If I did this would I get loads of condensation on the glass above the water level (which would ruin the look I'm going for), and would the lights simply fry the plants as soon as they poke above the water line?

My other solution would be to find a glazier willing to chop off the top six inches, which I'm guessing would be difficult!

Thanks,
Simon.

Thanks for the feedback. I love the bow-front but as I say the Vision is a bit too tall. Are there any companies which do custom made bow-front aquaria?

Another thing you need to consider is its filter.If you use its original Juwel filter it gets the water from top and bottom grills (mostly top).Water level should reach to grills to allow the water to flow in to the filter chamber.Or you will use an external filter .

Thanks all, yes I'd considered the filter issue. I was planning on replacing it for an external - always been happy with the filter on my Rio 125 but it does take up a lot of room.

I was generally more interested in whether people have successfully run tanks with a lower water level; whether (a) they get interesting/good growth or flowering above the waterline and (b) whether they get loads of condensation issues.

Hi all,
If I did this would I get loads of condensation on the glass above the water level (which would ruin the look I'm going for), and would the lights simply fry the plants as soon as they poke above the water line?
No, it is fine. I don't fill up most of my tanks, mainly because it gives space for plants to grow emersed.

tank_backoflab.jpg

cheers Darrel

Back