• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Juwel T5 unit vs multilux LED unit

JenBird

So I set up co2 in my tank a few months back. Been seeing an amazing difference with that but was wondering if switching from the T5 unit to the LED unit would be any good?

Part of it would be that I believe the tubes don’t need to be replaced as often, but I’m hoping also that they would be a bit stronger and perhaps I could get some of my plants to get their pinker colours going.

Part of it would be that I believe the tubes don’t need to be replaced as often
Why are you replacing tubes ? Bet it is because the manufacturer says so, as opposed to tubes losing lumens ? T5 tubes generally maintain greater than 80-90% lumen output after 5 years. You will generally get more as hopefully your lights are only on 6-8 hours a day.

My T5 tubes are from late 2016 and still kick out masses of light, no issues with plant growth and absolutely no issues growing algae if not watching CO2 levels and distribution. One of the tubes is Aug 2020, a plant wrapped itself around the tube, whilst I was away on holiday and the tube cracked and failed. You can't tell the difference between the 1 year old tube and 5/6 year old tubes.

I have a 4 T5 tube iQuatics unit.
4 Tube 92cm T5 Light-Juwel Compatible, Vision 180 – iQuatics

Before I got the 4 tube unit I ran for 5 years with a Juwel dual T5 unit, with the same tubes as it was supplied with. With 2 tubes, CO2 and EI dosing, no issues with any plant growth and plants of all colours. With 4 tubes much faster plant growth, but much much quicker to go wrong if not paying attention.

perhaps I could get some of my plants to get their pinker colours going.
I think this is a continuing myth with no basis in practice. I grew red plants when I was using T8 tubes and dosing completely unknown doses of liquid fertiliser bought from local shop. Growth and redness wasn't brilliant and BBA was an issue compared to 5 off T5 tubes, CO2 and EI ferts dosing.

Oh awesome I’d actually not change my tubes yet so that’s really good to know. Maybe I’ll just keep chugging along with what I have and keep trying a few different plants to see what works best hmm

Have you got reflectors, that increases the light level significantly. I had the Juwel aluminium reflectors when I had my dual unit, though were getting to end of life, after a few years, as getting corroded and scaled up quite badly.

The iQuatics reflectors are quite clever, a plastic U shaped tube, clipped to the tubes, that has a mirrored polyester film sheet inserted in as the reflector. Doesn't corrode, dirt/scale wipes off, when they eventually loose reflectivity, you take the film out and put in "other way round" to gain reflectivity back. When that finally goes you just buy more reflector and insert into the carrier. Job done.

Only one currently has a reflector as the other broke but I might replace the film in tht one and remember to get a new one. I’d actually completely forgot. That will definitely be a cheaper upgrade

Back