• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Just aquired 5 cuties

Susanna

I can't believe I'm saying this about crustations but I have had at least 5 really cute mini shrimps delivered to go in my tank.

they are a mixed bag of neocaridina zhangiajiensis of various sizes ranging from 3 mm (white) to 10mm yellow with a red and 2 blues between.

I've been hypnotised by them all afternoon they are so industrious for their size.

I have 2 concerns:

1 will they breed and the chances of any young surviving both my filter and my neons

2 i noticed when i put the heater back on for a few minutes one of them who was happily cleaning a piece of wood by the filter outlet (the heater sits inside the filter chamber and holds at 22c) moved lower down, do they prefer cooler water and if so will that affect the neons and plants?

You certainly aren't the first person to become mesmerised by shrimp. It's funny how people turn into shrimp fans after getting them.

As to your questions, they should breed and populate the tank if you have enough cover. Most fish will eat shrimplets which is why a good covering of moss or fine leaved plants helps them evade the fish until they are large enough to not be eaten. If you have an unguarded filter then it may be a much bigger problem than your fish. Some filters allow shrimp to be sucked up and then left in peace to grow but other designs mean the shrimp goes through the impeller first. You can buy shrimp guards for most filters or make one out of a piece of sponge.

22c is a good temperature. The shrimp can handle it cooler, down to about 18c, but the neons won't appreciate it and you are at about the bottom limit for them. If your tank is anything like mine then it will be hotter in the summer even without a heater on and this natural seasonal change is why shrimp can adapt to higher water temperatures and where they are from the waters can reach nearer 30c for a short time each year, so 22c isn't an issue.

my next question is do they ever stop? they seem to be the Duracell bunnies of the aquarium world do they sleep or have an off time?

I'm really amazed how much these little creatures can clear i'm kind of thinking of getting some more

They don't stop but they don't have the longest lifespan either. They really do live fast die young, a couple of years is a good age, but they breed like anything.

Back