• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Just a quick question about converting to low tech

ForestDave

Hi.
I'm converting to low tech and switching to a smaller tank. I've seen that @ceg4048 suggested keeping the plants in the dark for a week or 2, as a possible way to ween them off of CO2. Has anyone tried this? Did you move and replant the plants first and then keep them in the dark or shut them away for a week and then move them. Is it best to go full blackout or simply not turn the light on?
I was thinking that moving straight away could be good option as they would have a lot of stored energy in their roots and stems? Most of my plants are suitable for a low tech tank and the couple that wont be I'm going to remove and try growing emersed.
Thanks.

I have not transitioned a full tank from low tech but I've moved plants from high tech to low tech before. I never worried about it, never had any issues transitioning. It's like buying a new plant I think, they completely switch conditions and adapt on their own.

Hi.
I'm converting to low tech and switching to a smaller tank. I've seen that @ceg4048 suggested keeping the plants in the dark for a week or 2, as a possible way to ween them off of CO2. Has anyone tried this? Did you move and replant the plants first and then keep them in the dark or shut them away for a week and then move them. Is it best to go full blackout or simply not turn the light on?
I was thinking that moving straight away could be good option as they would have a lot of stored energy in their roots and stems? Most of my plants are suitable for a low tech tank and the couple that wont be I'm going to remove and try growing emersed.
Thanks.
Hi,
You can simply leave the lights off and restrict dosing nutrients, assuming the tank is not in a sunny area. The plants will lose weight and the dim available light will help to reduce the chances of algal blooms. When you do restart the light, obviously make sure it's a lot less than when you were using CO2.

Cheers,

Back