• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Jungle Style Fish Bowl Aquascape!

Hello Everyone!

I hope everyone is doing well! My Ultra Low Tech Fosh Bowl Aquascape reached the 1-year mark and I thought it would be the perfect time for a rescape. I learnt so much about keeping these types of Aquascapes over the past year so I hoping to incorporate what I learnt into this new scape. In the old scape, I had a couple of issues with algae so this time I am using some faster-growing plants so this might reduce these issues.

Tank: 35cm (17 Litres) Fish Bowl
Hardscape: Root Wood and Dragon Stone
Substrate: Tropica Substrate (Powder)
Lighting: 40W LED Desk Lamp

Plants:
Bucephalandra Caterina 'Pygmaea',
Bucephalandra Lamandau Mini Red,
Bucephalandra Mini Needle Leaf,
Cryptocoryne Lucens,
Helanthium tenellum "Green",
Limnophila sessiliflora,
Phyllanthus Fluitans!

1. Added the Tropica Substate Powder, I found this is a great substrate packed with nutrients.
Bowl 2.jpg

2. Now it is time for the hardscape, I am using the Root Wood that I previously used in my old Aquascape. I really like how Bucephalandra Need Leaf and Bucephalandra Caterina 'Pygmaea' have been growing on these pieces of wood.
Bowl 3.jpg
3. With the hardscape arranged how I like, its time to add the plants. In this scape I am going to be using Cryptocoryne Lucens, Helanthium tenellum "Green" and Limnophila sessiliflora. I choose plants like Helanthium tenellum "Green" and Limnophila sessiliflora because they are relatively fast-growing plants so they should use up any excess nutrients in the water column reducing my chances of algae.
Bowl 4.jpg

4. With all the plants now planted it is time to fill the bowl up with water!
Bowl 5.jpg

Here is a picture of the bowl a day later, the water has now cleared up really nicely now!

218987636_2983318991995913_8978166813331351203_n.jpg

I also made a full video of me setting this fish bowl fish you guys are interested in watching!

I hope you guys enjoyed this post, thanks for reading!

One of the best bowls i've seen, not something that's too common these days but back in the day everyone that wasn't fully into the hobby had a bowl or a biorb, it's very nice! the way you've planted and built textures is top notch aswell.

One of the best bowls i've seen, not something that's too common these days but back in the day everyone that wasn't fully into the hobby had a bowl or a biorb, it's very nice! the way you've planted and built textures is top notch aswell.
Exactly! I kind of wanted to try and make a modern updated fishbowl. Thanks for the compliment on textures, that's something I have been trying to work on with my scapes.

Very nice little bowl, i have a few of these in the shed that i should do something like this with.

You must keep your house toasty throughout the winter months to negate the need for a heater.
Looks like it's only plants in there, so a heater wouldn't be needed in most houses, even shrimp, snails etc will be fine.

Hi
Where did you purchase the lamp from?
Cheers hoggie
Hi Hoggie,

The lamp is from Ikea!

Very neat. Particularly enjoyed your video.

You must keep your house toasty throughout the winter months to negate the need for a heater.

Hey, thank you I am glad you enjoy the video! Even right now in almost winter time the bowl is around 18C.
Really nice, great guide too, for those if us not as artistically gifted.

Thank you! I am the same aha!

Hey Everyone,

Today I wanted to share a 1 monthly update on this fish bowl aquascape!

270131078_324847849645855_3242737292304877017_n.jpg

The Helanthium tenellum and Limnophila sessiliflora have grown so quickly in the space of month. The Limnophila has even reached the top of the bowl and is draping over the surface of the water so I think it's time to give it a bit of trim. So far there has not been too much algae which is nice to see, I think the faster-growing plants are keeping it under control.

Back