• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Journal Jungle pond project...

IMG_20180520_200852.jpg
IMG_20180520_201021.jpg
IMG_20180520_201202.jpg

Very beautifull!!.. I happen to have to same plant this year.. The one with the pink flower, at least it looks the same Polygonum bistorta?.. :) Tho mine yet didn't develop flowers, but steadily growing.

Hi all,
I like the <"Tetrapanax">.
The one with the pink flower, at least it looks the same Polygonum bistorta?.
It is <"Primula vialii">, it is easy from seed, but I've never had an individual plant last long.

<"Persicaria (Polygonum) bistorta"> is a good garden plant, and <"Persicaria (Polygonum) amphibia"> is a good one for a pond, partially because it copes with fluctuating water levels really well (it can switch between terrestrial and aquatic forms).

cheers Darrel

Epic indeed! That sure looks like back breaking work.

All you need a floor to ceiling window on that wall on your house.

We tried one and it didn't last either. Primula denticulata has survived though - and again can be grown from seed (or divided).

I planted some in the ground last year, but they never came up this year. I notice people have difficulty with it.

I read that some people have more success with acid soil and wet conditions so I am trying it in the pond. If this doesn't work, I'll probably not try them again until someone works out how to keep them coming back.

Beautiful flowers though.

Hey Sanj, which pond pump are you using?

I planted some in the ground last year, but they never came up this year. I notice people have difficulty with it.

I read that some people have more success with acid soil and wet conditions so I am trying it in the pond. If this doesn't work, I'll probably not try them again until someone works out how to keep them coming back.

Out of curiousity i did a bit of reading on gardening these plants.. It seems they only like it very wet during the growing seasons. during the winter they prefer a bit more well drained and less wet conditions. it might be if kept to wet in winter the roots freeze to death. :)

Now I think about it, we started with some in the border (heavy clay but a bit dry mid-summer) and they didn't survive the next year, the ones with their roots in the pond have though, so fingers crossed for you.

A lot of gardening descritpions and tips don't always go into the details.. Description vary a lot as very fragmented summary. some state winterhardy till -20°C and others state it's only mediocre winterhardy and difficult in our climate because our winters are often to wet. In such climate with very inconsistent winters it's averagely considered a biennial plant.

It needs a well drained lose soil, and a lot of watering in the summer, best to be kept dry in the winter.. At various places adviced as ideal plant for a real Rock garden.

All this added up making some obvious assumptions.. it most likelly is not a typical lithophyte but a rather shallow rooting plant in its natural habitat able to settle in the nooks and crannies of rocky surfaces. Growing it in a wet invironment on a water logged clay soil not particularly well drained with possible very cold and long term wet winters it's a mater of beeing lucky to make it survive the to the next year. If the soil is loose and drained enough it might root deeper while maturing and benefit it's chances for survive the winter, probably as stated down to -20°C.

Seeing them as marginal pond plants in the above picture with one in a basket in the water, you must be very lucky with an extremely mild winter.. your chances would increase drasticaly if you place them higher up for example in the border next to the lawn and than make a ditch filled deep enough with a loose soil that drains. Than plant them rather early in the year giving it a chance to mature and root as deep as possible. :)

Hi all,
It seems they only like it very wet during the growing seasons. during the winter they prefer a bit more well drained and less wet conditions.
A lot of the Himalayan plants are like that, they have a consistently cool, dry winter and an incredibly wet, cool, summer monsoon season.

A number of them <"aren't "hardy" in the UK">, despite growing at high altitude, this is because they are covered by a deep blanket of snow in the autumn, and by the time they melt out in the early summer it is already quite warm.

Primula viallii is really easy to propagate from seed, but difficult to grow as a perennial, in fact a perfect nurseryman's plant.

cheers Darrel

A lot of the Himalayan plants are like that, they have a consistently cool, dry winter and an incredibly wet, cool, summer monsoon season.

Same as <Mazus reptans> very easy to grow and beautifull flowering little creeper also from the Himalaya and sold as pond plant. Same story, one nasty winter especialy when kept wet chances are they wont be back the year after. And they grow rather well and don't mind flowering indoors if placed above an open top tank riparium setup. :) I no longer have it in the garden..

Back