• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Jungle in a glass box

FrozenShivers

I ordered a new tank a few weeks ago that is currently being made, it is 120x50x50cm (300litres), this will be my largest tank yet. I have also ordered parts to make an aluminium stand, I need to figure out how I want to skin it also. This is early days but I thought I would start a journal for it so I can get some feedback from you all as always, my favourite tank that I have is my 90cm jungle tank. Project Unknown. This tank is most likely going to also be a jungle tank, I would like to use lots of echinodorus and crypts. Unsure of scape yet, no doubt plants will cover most of it :cyclops:. Lighting wise I am still unsure, I can always chuck my Chihiros WGB II Slim 90cm on it until I figure it out if required. I will be injecting CO2 but not at high levels, I want the tank to be fairly low maintenance like my current 90cm is.

Filtration wise I will see how I get on with the Biomaster 850 & 250, I suspect the 250 won't do very much though and I may need to source a 850 head unit. I have ordered Viv Aqua's new shameless copy of the updated ADA metal jet/intake pipes, I want to try metal pipes as I hate cleaning mines, the jet style may help with the flow reaching the other end of the tank as a bonus! I'm also looking at Chihiros solid grey silicone tubing (again, to lower maintenance), if anyone has a cheaper alternative by someone else please let me know. Each filter will have inline CO2, although I may try a reactor for the first time. I will be doing a dark start once I get everything in place.

Aquarium - 120x50x50 12mm Optiwhite.
CO2 - Strideways Pro Plus & Manifold.
Lighting - Chihiros WRGB Slim 90.
Filter & Heater - Oase Biomaster Thermo 850 & Oase Biomaster Thermo 250.
Plants - Jungly.
Hardscape - TBC.
Controller - Nicrew temperature controller.
Sand - TBC.
Substrate - TBC.

Last edited:
Something came in the post today…glad all my rookie CAD measurements worked out correct, phew! Still a few more brackets to fit. Now to find some feet for it.

Attachments

• IMG_9817.jpeg
    IMG_9817.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 72
  • IMG_9822.jpeg
    IMG_9822.jpeg
    3.6 MB · Views: 57
  • IMG_9821.jpeg
    IMG_9821.jpeg
    3.9 MB · Views: 69
  • IMG_9823.jpeg
    IMG_9823.jpeg
    3.4 MB · Views: 68
Last edited:
Lovely stand be a shame to cover most of it up! 😉

Sadly due to it being in the living room I have been given no choice :dead:. I'm trying to figure out what I'll use to support the base of the aquarium, would marine plywood be the best shout and then just normal plywood less thick for the base & shelf? Not sure how thick I would need the ply to be to spread and support the tank at the top.

Sorry @FrozenShivers
I'm not the best person to ask, as Ive never built a stand you could ask the questions below in DIY!

Sadly due to it being in the living room I have been given no choice :dead:. I'm trying to figure out what I'll use to support the base of the aquarium, would marine plywood be the best shout and then just normal plywood less thick for the base & shelf? Not sure how thick I would need the ply to be to spread and support the tank at the top.
Ever thought about cheap off cut kitchen worktop....at least its reasonably sealed and tough and strong!

Small update - Made a start on tapping M8 threads into the profile to fit the feet (my first time doing this so had to lookup what was required). They are adjustable and can take 400KG per, I am also going with 6 instead of 4, they are 48mm diameter so should spread the weight out nicely over my floor.

Attachments

• stand1.jpg
    stand1.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 27
  • stand2.jpg
    stand2.jpg
    876.9 KB · Views: 34
Thank you! I am a complete CAD newbie, it was actually fairly simple, I just used the free browser software by "Item24" Engineeringtool. If you ever need advice or want me to make you a simple design just chuck me a PM 🙂
Ah thanks! I was just tinkering with it and its quite easy to get a hang of.

Progress is slow at the moment, trying to source decent plywood that I will oil, not painting so it has to have a good face on it, was trying to get birch but finding it tricky to source locally and is pretty expensive, the hunt continues. My first set of pipes has arrived, happy with them so ordered a second pair for the tank.

Attachments

• IMG_9869.jpg
    IMG_9869.jpg
    927.4 KB · Views: 13
Couple deliveries arrived today, ADA Vuppa II skimmer, and two 5m fastening straps for when I collect the tank, still to order transit blankets for the trip too….the joy.

Attachments

• IMG_9915.jpeg
    IMG_9915.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 6
  • IMG_9913.jpeg
    IMG_9913.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 5
Last edited:
For a stand that needs to be living room approved, I’ve found that veneered plywood with a nice wipe on poly finish looks very nice and is easy to do for an amateur like me.

I’ve built a couple stands and personally I didn’t find marine plywood to be necessary. Assuming that the plywood needs to stand up to general humidity and the occasional splash, I feel like regular good quality plywood is enough. Once finished and attached to your stand it should be 100% stable and flat. A persistent leak will eventually destroy regular plywood, but the frame will prevent should prevent any catastrophic failure, and a leak means your looking at a full tear down anyways. Just my thoughts 🙂

Back