• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Jumping chocos :(

nduli

need some help guys I have an issue with jumping chocos. I've lost 3 to the floor in the last week :(.
I put a piece of glass across the offending end today and Ones jumped out the other end. It's a heavily planted tank with floaters covering the entire surface and the tank is semi dark water.
Any ideas why they jump? I know they are known for it but I thought with the surface cover of the plants I'd be fine. :(
Any guidance appreciated.

Reduce water level so that u leave atleast 2 inches space at the top. Did u transfer them in there recently? Or if they get agitated by sudden lighting changes outside.. those r some reasons.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

Transferring new fish is a very delicate thing.. I know a lot of attention s paid to acclimatisation. But also important is the way u get them in. I have found that when I use a fish net invariably I find jumpers. Whereas when I dip the bag and let them swim out there has no jumpers at all. I know we shudnt contaminate with lfs water but i think if they r not gonna jump then it's definitely worth a shot.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

I've kept S osphromenoides (chocolate gourami) over the years & more recently S vaillanti (samurai gourami) - the latter are by far the better jumpers, but both choco's are rather talented at finding the smallest gaps & leaping outward ...

Surface cover is helpful with these fish, but if startled (consider nighttime traffic re cars or people walking through the house) these fish can/will fly - you don't mention tank size ... some ambient light or moonlight (dim white light - what moon on what planet shines blue :confused: ) may reduce startle reflex jumping.

Also take note if fish are fighting, again this can trigger jumpers, especially if tank is small.

Lowering the water level can help I suppose .... I keep mine in rimmed tanks with water level lowered by a couple inches ... last week I had 3 vaillanti jump despite them having been in the tank for months without incident ... for lack of anything else to do, I've closed the window blinds - no jumpers since
BUT last week was also a week with more determined disagreements so I suspect this is more the trigger

A few weeks ago, I lost 2 chocolates to jumping - again the only real change I observed was increased wrangling within the group - & yet I've moved subordinate fish to other tanks only to have them act miserable & refuse to eat without their "family" - after a few days I give in & return them to the group & observe instant "happy" fish activity & color
:rolleyes:

I haven't noticed any "net" effects with choco's except be very careful when netting, as again they will go from apparently quiescent in the net to flying through space :eek:

If you do find a recently jumped fish, place in a large net & float in tank with gentle current across gills to assist fish with breathing - my last jumper was stunned & appeared almost normal after 15-20 min, I released him back into the tank after an hour or so

I've had two jump.Didn't realise they were jumpers :oops:.
First one was found dried up on the floor one morning,so covered the tank with perspex.
Second one managed to get through a small gap by the filter pipes.
Luckily I was in the room at the time and heard it land.

Luckily I was in the room at the time and heard it land.
Awful sound isn't it
I start looking as soon as I hear the water ripple which means they are shooting about the tank - I've noticed this during the evening (darkened tank & dim room), didn't hear a floor sound so didn't look :oops:
- poor fellow had landed on the chair cushion :sorry::sorry::sorry:

Now I look obsessively every time I hear the water sound :wideyed: :nailbiting: :nailbiting: :nailbiting:

Your presence puts them in a bad mood ;)
I feed a lot when I feed the tank so they have less of an excuse to argue over the best bits - they still do but then another shrimp/bloodworm etc floats by & distracts ...

Second one managed to get through a small gap by the filter pipes.

Ive experienced this in the past too with certain sp. It always kinda baffled me. In a way i always thought it was pure chance and bad luck. But also in a way this very strange because it is very oftenly reported that certain fish do this. And wonder what do they see and what triggers them to jump through such a tiny hole. Oftenly sitting hours in front of the tank and never realy experienced one jumping at all, they all seem to do it at night with lights out. I thought if it is chance they would need to jump numerous times to finaly at one unlucky moment find this gap. But the point is, if they jump so often you would witness them jumping regularly and i never did. Only found them on the floor. o_O

Back