• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Journey to the microcosm - the secret things living in your aquarium

Hi all,
Do you find stuff from UK ponds manages to survive/thrive in Tropical tanks?
I think if you get it from UK ponds it is pretty likely to survive at tank temperatures. Some mosses from rivers grow OK (Fontinalis etc.), but they tend to get a bit leggy. I've only tried Gammarus as an invertebrate, and that definitely has higher oxygen demands than warm water can provide.
Darrel, did you ever find the freshwater video?
It is not on "Journey to the Microcosm", even though nearly all the videos are of freshwater organisms. It must be on a freshwater site somewhere, I'll have a trawl through the Wildlife Trusts etc.

cheers Darrel

I've always really loved the amount of micro fauna in marine tanks that come in with the live rock and would love to see more in my freshwater systems.
Yes, this was my original inspiration too :) But the knock on effects to the system, and much more dynamic fish behaviour was the clincher for me.

Do you find stuff from UK ponds manages to survive/thrive in Tropical tanks?
On the whole yes, most of my ponds are effectively black plastic tubs, which in summer reach far higher temperatures than our aquaria. But remember just like in marine aquaria, filtration can be the biggest threat to many of these critters.

I’m also on the hunt for Ancylus fluviatilis, as they’re supposed to grow larger than Acroloxus.
I have keep these before under the name 'turtle snails'. I got them from an ebay auction in the US about 10 years ago. It's cool to see that they seem to be part ramshorn snail part not. They didn't breed particularly well in my tank, eventually just disappearing and they were not particularly excellent algae eaters off the glass - at least compared to theodoxus. It could be because the water I kept them in at the time was acidic and very soft.

Last edited:
Back