• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Journal 2 . Finaly, 4ft 238l CLOSEING down today 1st May

Re: Journal 2 . Finaly, 4ft 238l UPDATED 08/01/10

Also, if you want the rotalla bush effect you'll have to sacrifise all those floaters to get light to them. Floaters are normally used to limit light in algae tanks, all your plants won't really mind the extra light, rotalla gets leggy with poor light, does yours seem leggy?

That just screams lack of co2 to me, they will take time to bulk out though. Slowly slowly.

Well i know i have lack of co2, but what can you do if you simply cant afford presurised, Im just dealing with what i have in reach, wich is easycarbo, Im doseing all i can dose too without ill effects. I know its slow, But in the end of the day im in no rush to finish. Maybe that day will come when i have that pressurised co2 kit and i can start growing whatever i want realy easy, But at least this way i have learnt a large lesson in different areas i would of missed out useing pressurised straight away. :D

What light are you using? Keep an eye on Ebay there was someone selling a JBL reg and it went for less than £30 the other day. The tank looks really good, is their anything under the gravel?

There we go! You're in the low light bracket! No wonder you're rotalla is leggy :)

So conclusion is that i need more light, How can i do that with installing another light starter,

Another starter means more power sapage of the grid. Get me, Whats the cheapest and best way to get the wattage i need? It must remain hooded my tank due to cats lol. :D

Generally the rule goes 2wpg will grow anything. Or two t5's with reflectors will grow anything. Either or really. The second you up your light you up ferts and Co2 demands and ferts demand.

GOT A SLIGHT PROBLEM, WOKEN UP TO A SPOT OF GREEN SPOT ON MY TANK. NOT HAPPY TO SAY THE LEAST. I HAVE SINCE STARTING DOSEING EI, BE ADMITING LEVELS OF

SUNDAY
1TSP KNO3
HALF OV 1,4TH KHPO4
1TSP MGS04

MONDAY
TRACE

ETC ROTATEING WITH REST ON FRIDAY,SATURDAY

DOSEING EASY CARBO EACH DAY, WITH 9 HOURS LIGHT EACH DAY.

BEEN DOSEING SMALLER DOSEING OF EI DUE TO FIRST COUPLE OF WEEKS INTRODUCTION. DUE TO DOSE FULL AMOUNT FROM TODAY. DO YOU RECKON ONCE I DO SO THE GREEN SPOT WILL GO DUE TO INCREASED PO4?

FLOW IS GREAT AS I HAVE TWO EXSTERNALS RUNNING FLUVAL 205 X 2

Chilled bud, hope you're good...

Time to save those pennies imo and get some pressurised co2. I know funding is tight, especially this time of year straight after Christmas, but you really will not regret it mate.

Until then, I'd lay off the liquid co2 and lay off water changes. Reduce lighting to 6 or 7 hours and reduce the amount of ferts you dose.

Increasing the lighting is a mistake too - get co2 and master it before even thinking about extra lighting, or you'll end up in a right mess.

EI is based on 3-4wpg with around 30ppm+ of co2. So dosing full or even half EI isn't needed. The plants simply can't use that much ferts throughout the week.

Liquid Carbon on a tank this size isn't enough imo. You'll probably kill all livestock before you reach the equivalent of 30ppm on just liquid carbon, and as plant mass increases or decreases with pruning, your co2 levels will be inconsistent which will lead to more problems. Water changes will also bring inconsistent co2 levels as tap water generally contains high levels of dissolved co2.

Converting to low tech solves these problems - no water changes means your co2 levels withing the tank stay stable at around 8-12ppm. With a lower light level this is perfect. Yes, growth slows down, but you are rewarded in other ways - not having to do 120litre water changes each week for a start! :lol: As for ferts, watch your plants and dose only when needed. You could probably use less than 1/4 of weekly EI each month on a low tech tank.

Re: Journal 2 . Finaly, 4ft 238l CALLING ALL BRAINS!

Now thats what i wanted to read, Thanks mate. And seeing my plants are growing its all makes sense. If i want to continue forward i realy do need that presurised co2! i just cant afford. So what would you suggest i do ferts wise? Numbers please. Should i still dose easy carb? I have already hit one light out, Im now running 30 watts at mo. I was changeing water at 1/4th amounts.

Numbers... err.. a pinch of this and a pinch of that basically :lol: I wouldn't worry about it too much at this stage.

Stop liquid carbon altogether. Adding it means there is a need to do water changes.

Aaron North recently changed his tank to a low tech, so it might be worth asking him for some advice too.

It might take them a few days to adapt, but they should be fine.

I think Aaron changed to low tech as its easier to maintain. Cheaper too.

Hey Chilled
Im running my 4ft 150l as a low tech
36w t8 with a good reflector
dosing once a week- every 2 weeks depending on how the plants look:
1/8-1/4tsp of KNO3
1/16-1/8 of K2PO4
1/4 tsp Seachem Equilbrium for extra K and traces
No water changes just topping off as required.
Growth will be slow my ludwigia repens (hope my latin is correct) grew 2-3 cms a week
Have a read of this http://www.barrreport.com/showthread.php/433-Non-CO2-methods
it should help.

Regards

Ollie

I didnt go completley low tech (i still use pressurized CO2) because I couldnt keep up with the 50% water changes every week, it didnt do much harm but I didnt see the point in it being half decent when there is the option of low tech, so I halfed the lighting, and now do 50% every month and it is going well. I have noticed an improvment in my echinodorus after just 3 weeks. (havent done my first water change yet lol).
There is BBA on just one leaf so I trimmed that off and fingers crossed I havent seen anything else.
Standard EI mixture, but i cut down from adding the nutrients 3x per week to once a week.
That is all you will need to do aswell.

Thanks, Aaron

Back