• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Journal 2 . Finaly, 4ft 238l CLOSEING down today 1st May

Re: Journal 2 . Finaly, 4ft 238l updated 24th April

saintly said:
killer chilled. :thumbup:

what type of lilly is that you have?
wich one? the one on the right i grew from a bulb i found in a plant recieved, and the red beauties i have had since i first started last yr, tiger.

looking good chilli :D .glad you've finally taken all them floaters out so some light gets in there.

nelson said:
looking good chilli :D .glad you've finally taken all them floaters out so some light gets in there.
Yeah, good move that weas! Got new light too now, 130 watts now. Still low but better than before, just need to master EI and co2 bps!

I think you mean the ludwigia repens, which grows red as long as there is enough light. My tank has 4 x 39 W - T 5 s, CO2 is about 3 bps so that the DC is lime green. I dose 5 ml of TPN + a day, well until I ran out recently....

Re: Journal 2 . Finaly, 4ft 238l updated 28th April

TBRO said:
I think you mean the ludwigia repens, which grows red as long as there is enough light. My tank has 4 x 39 W - T 5 s, CO2 is about 3 bps so that the DC is lime green. I dose 5 ml of TPN + a day, well until I ran out recently....

is that al it takes? how deep is is yout tank tbro? Mines 2ft deep. running 4 x 30w

It's 70 cm, so you should manage in your tank especially with stems that will reach near to the light.

chilled84 said:
is that al it takes?

unfortunately, no. some plants lend themselves to red, some dont. the classic example of this is rotala sp. no one has the answer to this.

Re: Journal 2 . Finaly, 4ft 238l updated 25th feb

JamesM said:
BREEDING: The caridina japonica larvae won't survive in a fresh water tank. They need brackish water during the first weeks. In nature, they get carried downstream after hatching. This is obviously impossible in a tank, so you'll just have to improvise. One method is to put the mother into a separate tank until the larvae hatch, then remove her and gradually raise the salinity (your basic cooking salt will do) to about 17 grammes per litre. You can also prepare the nursery tank in advance and just suck the larvae out with a hose. An easy way to do this is to switch off the lights and lure them to one corner of the tank via a flashlight. I've heard yeast is a very good starter food. Once the fry has grown up past the larvae stage you can just put them back in a fresh water tank. They won't mind the change at all. As far as I know, the fertilization of the eggs takes place while they're still inside the ovary. The mother will later carry the eggs around on her belly for protection. You can easily discern them, they have a greyish colour, a bit like caviar. Happy shrimp nursing!

http://www.aquahobby.com/gallery/e_shrimp.php

Can i transfer water from my tank to the smaller holding tank, and then when ready, add the salt to this? after removeing the adult. :?:

I suspect Marine salt would be best, but that is an educated guess :) If you can't find specific salt requirements while searching about shrimp, try researching brackish in general :)

Re: Journal 2 . Finaly, 4ft 238l updated 29th April

altaaffe said:
Like the tank Chilled - looking good :thumbup:

As for breeding the shrimp, I set up a 60 litre using sea water ready but then was overtaken by events before I could finish the project but I was using this article as a base.

http://mikes-machine.mine.nu/breeding_yamato.htm
Thanks altaffe, got myself a 30cm for 5 pounds at boot sale, trying to get my females to give birth.

Back