• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

John starkey 450lts 112g journal new pics 10/5/2009

Re: John starkey 450lts 112g journal new pics added today 25/03/

John,

Just a quick question which i've always wondered about.

You have stems at the back closely followed by crypts and rosette plants in front of them. when these stems get to tall and you trim a few times to the point you need to uproot and plant the tops, how do you go about doing that? seeing how tightly everything fits in i cant see how you be able to get your hands in there to replant them without disturbing or damagin the other plants in front.

Lee

I was thinking much the same when I saw the Vallis. I like it but when it becomes a weed I find it too much effort.

Long tweezers! Every aquascapers friend...

John kindly donated his set from AE to me, so now I have curved tweezers and skissors. Definately THE way to go!

Aeropars said:
John,

You have stems at the back closely followed by crypts and rosette plants in front of them. when these stems get to tall and you trim a few times to the point you need to uproot and plant the tops, how do you go about doing that? seeing how tightly everything fits in i cant see how you be able to get your hands in there to replant them without disturbing or damagin the other plants in front.

Lee
Hi Aeropars, like lisa says i use long curved tweezers ( ukaps set) os much easier than using your hands,regards john.

beeky said:
I was thinking much the same when I saw the Vallis. I like it but when it becomes a weed I find it too much effort.

Hi Beeky, personally i think the vallis is easy to control i use long scissors to cut the runners and replant in the same area,obviously when that said area has acheived the look i want then that is the time for me to donate the cuttings to members (for a small donation to ukaps of course),regards john.

john starkey said:
Aeropars said:
John,

Lee
Hi Aeropars, like lisa says i use long curved tweezers ( ukaps set) os much easier than using your hands,regards john.

hmmm.. i have a set of ling tweesers but perhaps mine are a bit too bulky. Not being able to see the substrate and how much your putting the stems under is my problem. No sooner as I have let go than one or two stems float! With plants in the front like you have, are you not working blind when planting at the back?

Aeropars said:
john starkey said:
Aeropars said:
John,

Lee

hmmm.. i have a set of ling tweesers but perhaps mine are a bit too bulky. Not being able to see the substrate and how much your putting the stems under is my problem. No sooner as I have let go than one or two stems float! With plants in the front like you have, are you not working blind when planting at the back?

Hi Aeropars, i find it no problem i just move the other plants aside and plant before i do a water change,i find it easier while the plants are upright not bent over when the tank is half empty, i also have a folding ladder that acts as a walk way along the front of my tank and i can reach the bottom easily,regards john.

Hi all,today i gave the golden rams away to my neighbour and went and purchased 8 puntious denisoni rose line torpedo barbs,maidenhead aquatics did me 8 for £100 they were £15 each or three for £40 i will post up some pics when i come back from prague in two weeks time,i have been busy changing some plants around so you will notice the differance,take care all regards john,ps i go away a week today 8)

john starkey said:
Hi all,today i gave the golden rams away to my neighbour and went and purchased 8 puntious denisoni rose line torpedo barbs,maidenhead aquatics did me 8 for £100 they were £15 each or three for £40 i will post up some pics when i come back from prague in two weeks time,i have been busy changing some plants around so you will notice the differance,take care all regards john,ps i go away a week today 8)

I was offered some yesterday at £5 each!! This was a sort of special discount mind... But even then the listed price on the tanks was 11.50 each!

Hi Steve,£11.50 is still not a bad price, didnt mind paying £100 for just eight fish they are very good quality. regards john

Just been looking though some journals that have got to the bottom and found this gem ;) I remember this from almost a year ago on TFF. Since I have gained more knowledge I now see this scape is much better than i previously thought!

That P.Helferi carpet has to be one of the best around!

Any updates on this or has it changed?

aaronnorth said:
Just been looking though some journals that have got to the bottom and found this gem ;) I remember this from almost a year ago on TFF. Since I have gained more knowledge I now see this scape is much better than i previously thought!

That P.Helferi carpet has to be one of the best around!

Any updates on this or has it changed?

Hi Arron,the setup is still going strong but it doesnt look anything like the old pics,what i do now is use this setup as a sort of test tank to learn how to grow algae free plants and see if i can grow some of the more difficult plants,it does have some sort of shape but i wouldnt call it Amano style :lol: ,regards john

Hi All,

Dan stayed at my place friday and took some pics of my setup so hopefully an update tomorrow,

regards john.

Here are some shots as promised.....
FullTankSmall.jpg

_MG_6531.jpg

_MG_6535.jpg

_MG_6544.jpg

_MG_6552.jpg

_MG_6572.jpg

_MG_6563.jpg

_MG_6578.jpg

Thats awesome.. and the most staurogyne ive ever seen in a tank.

Back