• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

John starkey 450lts 112g journal new pics 10/5/2009

John Starkey

Hi All,some of you will already know this setup from tff, but since those old pics i have changed things around here and there, Ealier today i did a big trim and thinned out the P,helferi this was growing over the top of each other due to me planting it too close, i hope you like what i have done i am quite pleased with it esspecially as its my first go at a planted setup and one of this scale too,The tank measures 150 x 50 x 60 i follow ei and change 50gals every tuesday, your comments will be appreciated, regards john
Enjoy the pics :)

P3240511.jpg

P3240512.jpg

P3240513.jpg

P3240515.jpg

P3240516.jpg

P3240517.jpg

P3240519.jpg

P3240520.jpg

P3240521.jpg

P3240523.jpg

P3240524.jpg

P3240525.jpg

P3240526.jpg

P3240528.jpg

P3240531.jpg

P3240532.jpg

P3240533.jpg

P3240534.jpg

P3240538.jpg

P3240539.jpg

P3240540.jpg

Re: John starkey 450lts 112g journal new pics added today 25/03/

Looking good John! I don't think we've seen the Rummy noses before? They look stunning.

Wow John, these are brilliant! I don't know why I was expecting to see Godzilla when you warned me that you were going to post because this is exemplary. You've still got a couple of antennae sticking up with the h. polysperma but otherwise smashing. 8) I have my P helferi in a very similar configuration, and my Crypt wendetii brown is in the same relative location!

Very impressive John. Well done, and especially for a first go. Thanks for sharing. :D

Cheers,

Arrghh, all that algae, must drive you mad ;)

Lovely, a real testament to your hard work and major up front research!

Hi all,thanks for all the nice comments, i must admit it is hard work but i think the end results make it all worth while, one of my most enjoyable things to watch is the reaction of visitors when they see it for the first time, take care all john :D

I think we can tell you like the cardinals John. Bet you're glad you got 'em.

I have a feeling that when you setup for each pic you waited for as many cardinals to get into shot before shooting. am I right?. lol

On another note looks amazing. must be quite hard to maintain such a large tank and I know you have quite a bit of light overheasd so even more so.

Moss looks great too. Mine gets algified at the slightest hint of a CO2 dip. lol

Andy

Looks great, plants look very healthy ang great scape :)
Love that foreground plant, whats it called?
Keep us updated on the progress :)

I get the visitors comment. Loads of people comment on my tank, plants, and also the small fish. Most think they are baby fish!

Very nice looking tank - good exponent of the more 'dutch style' tanks i personally favour! I am not a huge nature aquarium tank fan - i like profusions of cooler greens and different styles of plants densely planted. I especially like the sense of layers of plants from front to back.

Makes it hard to post ones own journal pics with such good examples of the art on display. Knocks the socks off any readers tank pics in PFK imo (not that i am knocking these other tanks - my own is one of them).

Rams are nice too!

Hi Stevet, i like the jungle style layouts but the work involved in trimming every two weeks or so, and the weekly 50g water change can be tiresome but i do enjoy it, i may spend some money at the TGM meet on the 4th april on a new smaller setup, i would like to do a 60x45x60 amano style scape, i would use this set just for competitions as i feel the larger setup i have would be too much work for me ( especially at my age :lol: ) thanks for the commplements,regards john.

Hi John,

Hope you don't mind but I'm gonna totally rip of some (OK several) bits of this scape!! Love the H.poly Rosanervig and having see the crypts at the weekdend I'm gonna use these in the jungle rena I'm doing in the Gold Fish Bowl. Java moss will also be added like you have it.

Hope thats ok!! :lol:

Sam

Themuleous said:
Hi John,

Hope you don't mind but I'm gonna totally rip of some (OK several) bits of this scape!! Love the H.poly Rosanervig and having see the crypts at the weekdend I'm gonna use these in the jungle rena I'm doing in the Gold Fish Bowl. Java moss will also be added like you have it.

Hope thats ok!! :lol:

Sam

Hi Sam,when you have finished the scape in the gold fish bowl i will come down with you and have look,i feel quite honoured that my jungle style has given you some ideas, take care regards john. 8)

You haven't just given Sam ideas... ;) it's truly lovely.

Whoever said that imitation was the sincerest form of flattery was pretty much spot on.

ulster exile said:
You haven't just given Sam ideas... ;) it's truly lovely.

Whoever said that imitation was the sincerest form of flattery was pretty much spot on.

Hi Chrisie, thanks very much i do try hard especially as i am not very artistic, take care regards john.

Missed this the first time, very nice tank John. I particularly like your crypts and the p. helfrei. How many pots of p. helfrei have you got in there? Must have cost an arm and a leg - I bought 1 pot (Tropica) this weekend and it was 7.50 - ouch! :D

Could you say what your crypts are, from left to right or do a planting plan?

Cheers,

Ray

I think they are all crypt wenditii, just brown and green varieties. I tell you what, these photos do not do the tank justice. There is nothing quite like seeing this tank in the flesh!
Top far left and right is Limnophila aquatica, one in the middle top to left is hygrophila polysperma rosarenvig(sp).

Oh and the moss!!! Its so cool the way it branches out and spreads...

Back