• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

JBL Proflora set

RudeDogg1

Ive just bought a proflora set with 2 cylinders, solinoid, ph controler ect second hand. Im new to co2 and wanted to know do you still need a drop checker if i decide to use the controler? Expect more questions when i set up next month lol

Rudi

Hi rudi and welcome to ukaps
First off I and I'm sure many on here will tell you to bin the ph controller as these lead to unstable co2 and therefore then lead to algae problems
I would definitely get a drop checker and just use this to indicate the amount of co2 in the water just make sure you have 4dkh water and bromo blue I know that jbl tell you to use tank water but this can be unstable whereas 4dkh is always a constant
Matt

Aqua essentials sell it
One of the forum sponsors
Matt

oh and do i use the jbl reactor or get a diffuser? And if a diffuser which one? And do u go thru more co2 using one? And are they safe to be used in a discus tank? Sorry about all the questions but im a co2 noob and wanna get it right first time lol.
Thanks Rudi

I wouldn't use the jbl diffuser they aren't that good a diffuser is much better but you say "discus tank " how big is the tank?
Diffusers are ok for nano sized but an external reactor like the aqua medic 1000 is much better on large tanks this is what I use
On my 500ltr discus tank and yes co2 with discus is fine as long as you get the levels right and don't gas them but this is true of any fish
Matt

On that sized tank you could go for the aqua medic or something like an up atomiser fitted to the outlet of your filter
If you do a search you can find out the pros and cons of both
But in the long run the choice is yours

The atomisers work in a similar way to a diffuser except they are attached to the outlet pipe of a canister filter
They have a ceramic tube that the water passes through the middle of and the gas is passee through from the outside of the tube into the flow these give the affect of a very fine mist of co2 in the tank that then gets in contact with the plant leaves and is the taken up by the plants if you search Up Atomiser you will probably find lots more info on them
The only thing that I would add about them is that you need to be able to turn up the output pressure of the regulator from the 1.2 bar working pressure to about 2.0 bar to get them to work properly personally I use an aqua medic reactor and find this works very well you do need to remove the bio balls though as they do tend to reduce flow
Matt

think i got meself abit of a bargain there was me thinking it would be 2 500g canisters but no it was 2 2kg ones :eek:) just got to flog the ph controller now

anyone know what this is for? dont think its part of the orig set
photo3.jpg

That looks like a needle valve used to regulate gas flow
I use one similar
The needle valve on my reg is pants so I open it full then use another one to adjust bubble rate
Much cheaper than a new reg

And you lucky bugger getting 2 2kg bottles
Matt

Cheers, I'll keep it then invade the one on the jbl reg ain't up to much. Got 4 watchers on the controller so fingers crossed should make half my money back

RudeDogg1 said:
Cheers, I'll keep it then invade the one on the jbl reg ain't up to much. Got 4 watchers on the controller so fingers crossed should make half my money back

Let me know how it does mate, I have one I want to sell soon, cheers.

Back