• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

JBL Inline Diffuser - Low bubble count

D.Bezinski

Hi All,

2 days ago I bought a JBL Pro Flora Taifun Inline diffuser, i installed it and i can't get more than 1-2 bubbles per second. When i switch back to my old in-tank diffuser the bubble count is fine. Any ideas? By the way I have DIY CO system.

Thank you.

Hi All,

2 days ago I bought a JBL Pro Flora Taifun Inline diffuser, i installed it and i can't get more than 1-2 bubbles per second. When i switch back to my old in-tank diffuser the bubble count is fine. Any ideas? By the way I have DIY CO system.
Inline diffusers operate with a significantly higher working pressure than in-tank diffusers. I doubt you would be able to reach the required pressure with a DYI CO2 system.

Hi Arcturus,

Please see the attached. It's this enough pressure?
Thank you.

Attachments

• IMG_2643.jpg
    IMG_2643.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 175
Hi,
I was wondering... If i remove the built in back flow protection and install something like this:
1644116039241.png

Will that solve the problem?

Thank you.

Hi
The JBL probably needs about 2 bar of constant pressure!
As its a Citric Acid Mix this wont be stable enough as its in a reaction with the Bicarbonate of Soda!
Plus the pressure will fall off as the reaction lessens.

Last edited:
Hi
The JBL probably needs about 2 bar of constant pressure!
As its a Citric Acid Mix this wont be stable enough as its in a reaction with the Bicarbonate of Soda!
Which is odd given that their regulator is limited to 1.5 bar.
Hi,
I was wondering... If i remove the built in back flow protection and install something like this:
View attachment 181763

Will that solve the problem?

Thank you.
That’s what I did. Removed the built in check valve and used a CO2 art one instead.

Hi,
Actually it's this one

1644151474073.png

I've removed the built in back flow protection and replaced it with this
1644151526648.png

It's not perfect but it's a little bit better. I will see how it goes

Inline diffusers usually require 1.3 - 2.0 bar pressure (sometimes up to 3.0 bar), to generate a fine mist. Below that they can generate larger bubbles, which defeats the purpose of using an inline diffuser.

I am not a user of DYI CO2. The picture of your CO2 system seems to be showing the cylinder pressure only, not the regulated pressure. It displays a pressure of ~50 Kg/cm2 = ~49 bar.

1644160132727.png

What matters for this discussion is the output regulated pressure, not the pressure inside the cylinder. The regulated pressure should be 1.3 - 2.0 bar depending on your diffuser. The regulated working pressure simply cannot be ~49 bar: the CO2 pipes and bubble counter would just burst (usual burst pressure of PU CO2 pipes is 10-25 bar). But if you have ~49 bar in the cylinder then you should be able to reduce it to the required ~2 bar for your inline diffuser. The question is if your CO2 system can keep up with that pressure during the injection period.

But if you have ~49 bar in the cylinder then you should be able to reduce it to the required ~2 bar for your inline diffuser. The question is if your CO2 system can keep up with that pressure during the injection period.
Is there are way to increase the regulated pressure or i should stick with the in-tank diffuser?

Hi
Just stick with the in-tank diffuser for this Co2 Set-up!
Trying to install and run a In Line Diffuser will cause you all sorts of problems when your mix starts getting exhausted!
hoggie

Hi
Just stick with the in-tank diffuser for this Co2 Set-up!
Trying to install and run a In Line Diffuser will cause you all sorts of problems when your mix starts getting exhausted!
hoggie
I think it time for an upgrade :)
I start looking into getting a proper CO2 bottle. I thought it will be really expensive but the i've read a post and people are buying fire extinguishers. Are there any cons for using a fire extinguisher? I assume i will just need to get a good regulator and that will fix my problem? Sorry for asking too many questions
Thanks

Hi,
Thanks for the video.
So I have 2 options
1 - STANDARD AQUARIUM CO2 SYSTEM FISH TANK DROP CHECKER + 2L CO2 BOTTLE | eBay - But i am not sure if i can control the working pressure output

2- Grohe Blue Professional 2kg CO2 Bottle - 40423000
CO2 Regulator with Solenoid, Dual Gauges & Adjustable Output Pressure

Please let me know what you think. Thanks
Before you buy any of the the above, just make sure you can get CO2 refills easily. Most fish shops charge £20-£40 for a refill and take 5 days odd.

Most people here use CO2 fire extinguishers. I pay £10 for a 1Kg one, lasts me about 100 days.

Before you buy any of the the above, just make sure you can get CO2 refills easily. Most fish shops charge £20-£40 for a refill and take 5 days odd.

Most people here use CO2 fire extinguishers. I pay £10 for a 1Kg one, lasts me about 100 days.
Hi,
I was about to post one here
with this regulator

Hi,
I was about to post one here
with this regulator
Oh, also make sure you have a way of disposing empty fire extinguishers. You can't put an empty FE in your house rubbish, it has to be disposed of correctly. A lot of council tips will not take empty fire extinguishers, though some will.

I think it time for an upgrade :)
I start looking into getting a proper CO2 bottle. I thought it will be really expensive but the i've read a post and people are buying fire extinguishers. Are there any cons for using a fire extinguisher? I assume i will just need to get a good regulator and that will fix my problem? Sorry for asking too many questions
Thanks
I am not based in the UK but let me share my opinion. A new 6 or 10Kg cylinder costs ~150 EUR and refilling it costs 20-25 EUR. A new fire extinguisher is cheaper than an equivalent CO2 cylinder if you rent it. Otherwise it costs roughly the same. You might be able to get expired fire extinguishers for cheap, but these cannot be refilled. Plus, you would likely have to pay a disposal fee in case you have no rental contract, which already includes that fee. This means you will need the time and effort not only to get a new extinguisher but also the extra time to dispose of it. Also note that CO2 cylinders can be filled with E290 CO2, which is food grade CO2 used for example in beverages. Fire extinguishers, for obvious reasons, do not use E290. You might also find the option to rent a CO2 cylinder in a gas dealer or hardware/garden store near you. The total costs of renting are similar to buying a new cylinder. If you look at this from a long term perspective, say 10 years, then you would be paying ~15 EUR/year for the cylinder or ~1 EUR/month. In my case, it takes me less than one hour to go to a gas dealer, get 10 Kg of E290 CO2, and return home. So, check if the fire extinguisher route is actually worth it in terms of time, effort, and costs. Maybe the conditions in the UK are very different, but around here the hassle of using fire extinguishers makes no sense (and I know no one who is using them).

Back