• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Jbl in-out aqua water changer

Halley

I bought one of these to help with water changes, however, it would not connect to my tap. I got a plumber to install a new tap and connection so that's it fits. However, it still does not have great suction, even though the connection fits snugly. Is it because the tap is higher than the aquarium? Any ideas?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a connection - the problem is that it does not siphon very strongly. I think it is because the tap is higher than the tank. Anyone any suggestions?

Well, you can't bend physics... If the tap is to high than you probably can't do anything. You could buy a powerhead and use the system you have only for filling the tank.

Enviado do meu HUAWEI GRA-L09 através de Tapatalk

Refraction bends physics a little so I thought I could but maybe not

Isn't refraction "physics"?

Is the drainage hole of the sink bellow the target water level? If so, you could start the syphon and then attach the hose, with a hose clip and sucker, close to the drain.
Not sure if I'm being clear enough...

Enviado do meu HUAWEI GRA-L09 através de Tapatalk

Yes you are right it is physics - so I could start the siphon but leave the end near the drain? I could just use a hose instead of a jbl in-out aqua

Or you can extend the short drainage piece so that it leads into a drain that's lower than your tank. After looking at the JBL water changer, I think its flaw is the relatively small diameter pipe which it comes with. It'll be fine if your drain is much lower than your tank but tough luck if the difference is insignificant or worse if you're higher.

Sometimes simpler can be better. I just connect an aquarium gravel cleaner to a 10 metre hose to the bathroom. Height difference between the two is only around 30 - 40cm but water flow is good enough for me to drain 100 litres in 15 - 20 minutes. Gives me enough time to do some cleaning.

I then refill by fitting that same hose to a powerhead in a bucket where I add dechlorinator and a bit of baking soda every few minutes.

Last edited:
Back