• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Java Fern

Deanne

During planting my Java Fern broke up and two leaves without roots became detached. One has a thickened brown base, the other does also but has an old break on the mid stem further up with some brown decay around it. It it worth sticking these to a stone or should I just add them to my compost bin. At the moment they are just floating in the tank.

Java fern can propagate with growing little plantlets on older leaves, so you could check these leaves if you see or maybe feel tiny protrusions at the leaves underside. These are the early beginnings of new plantlets. In that case you can leave the leaves floating around and evetualy these little plantlets get big enough to pull off and plant seperately.
clinical%2Bpic%2Bof%2Bjava%2Bfern......jpg

The old leaf will finaly decay.. Broken off leaves don't have the abbility to revive and develope new rhizome for it's own.. The new plantlets that could grow from a leaves underside are complete seperate new young rhizomes with leaves.

Back