• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Java Fern Varieties

frothhelmet

I have a couple questions on some now very hard to find Java Fern varieties.

Does anyone know the story behind Java Fern 'Tropica'. I have read that plantlets of it do not have the same 'dentate' leaf pattern of their parents. Is this true? Is this why Tropica stopped selling it.

I also head that Tropica stopped selling Jave Fern 'Red' because the redness of new leaf tips only appeared on emersed grown plants, and once submerged disappeared. Is this true?

Does anyone know why Tropica stopped selling Java Fern 'Phillipine'?

Interesting questions Gerard. I have no idea to be honest, but I know that hybrids can quite often revert back to their original form. I believe this is the case with many "marble" leaf plants etc.

I'd be interested in getting hold of a few other java fern types, such as "Trident" (although I suspect this is a hybrid/mutated java "needle").

I have Java Fern Trident. But only some plantlets from my sisters tank. The bigger new leaves from the plantlets are growing in the Trident form, so it seems to be at least 'semi' stable as a variety. Still growing super slow for me though, and some parts leaves are still melting. Never had much luck with the java. Maybe I need more ferts.

frothhelmet said:
I have a couple questions on some now very hard to find Java Fern varieties.

Does anyone know the story behind Java Fern 'Tropica'. I have read that plantlets of it do not have the same 'dentate' leaf pattern of their parents. Is this true? Is this why Tropica stopped selling it.

I also head that Tropica stopped selling Jave Fern 'Red' because the redness of new leaf tips only appeared on emersed grown plants, and once submerged disappeared. Is this true?

Does anyone know why Tropica stopped selling Java Fern 'Phillipine'?
I don't know the answer to these, but if you email Tropica they should let you know.

Questions Answered! Here is their reply below.

Dear Gerard

The plants, all of them, are no longer in production for one reason, simply because we do not sell enough of them! We will not sell the again within the next two or three years, but maybe later on. The Narrow and Windeløv versions are more attractive to the users in general, this is why we have continued these varieties.

The Red and Tropica are relatively easy to keep and breed as submerged and keep their form/colour.

Kind regards,

Ralf Gerlach

Back