• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Critique my hardscape Iwagumi style - First Time!

Bopowarls

Evening All,

Making a start in my first ever scape.

What do you guys think of my hardscape so far?

Excuse the terrible photos and the dirty tank glass. It was just my grubby fingers from the outside.
20181219_195614.jpg
20181219_195610.jpg
20181219_195352.jpg
20181219_195608.jpg

Critiquing myself after posting I'd probably say I've built the substrate too high around the front and side. Thoughts?

Very nice rock work. It does feel a bit far to the left but it probably depends on how you will view it.

What are you planning to use as a carpeting plant?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bopowarls

Welcome to the world of Iwagumi, it would be one of the most difficult Aquascapes to understand and do properly.

First of all have you done all your research on Iwagumi or just done a little so I will call it Iwagumi "Style"

You have a very good looking tank all nice clean lines plus you surrounds are not cluttered up with a lot of unnecessary bits and pieces.

I will finish this of later sorry I have to do this.

Keith:wave::wave:

Part 2
Bopowarls
I will use this photo as a reference

20181219_195614-jpg.jpg

1. It looks like you have 3 well sculptured rocks.
2. Are they all well positioned? I don't think so, the obvious is the huge rock front RH corner.
3. Large back rock is it in its best position? That is the big question.
4. Long flattish rock central LH depending on your planting it will be lost. Is it suitable another big question.

I have two recommendations for you make a Mock Tank the same size as your tank.
0A%20A%20Box%20Aquascape%20mock%20Tank%20_edited-1.jpg

Also I would strongly recommend do all the research you can.

Here are some very interesting links to Iwagumi I have prepared for you if you are still thinking of doing an Iwagumi Aquascape.

1.Japanese Garden History
http://www.japanorbit.com/japanese-culture/japanese-garden.html

2. Introduction to Iwagumi
https://www.thegreenmachineonline.com/blog/iwagumi-aquascapes-introduction/

3. Guide to Iwagumi
http://www.leonardosreef.com/guide-to-iwagumi/

4. Creating Iwagumi Aquascape
http://www.fish-etc.com/aquascaping-main/create-an-iwugami-aquascape

5. How to Setup an Iwagumi Aquarium
http://www.practicalfishkeeping.co.uk/features/articles/how-to-set-up-an-iwagumi-aquarium

6. The Art of Stone Appreciation
http://www.suiseki.com/evaluating/index.html

Morning Everyone,

Thank you for replying to my post!

1. The main viewing point will be from the LH side ish view as you walk into the room, and with it being a very small tank I've had to cluster on the RH side slightly.
2. Plants I have are Eleocharis Parvula, marsilea hirsuta, lilaeopsis novea-zealandia, hemianthus C, sagittaria subulata.
3. The front, long, rock I agree is slightly too big. However, I really like the shape of it and it flows with the main rock. I thought about trying to chisel it down but I worried it would ruin it.
4. The smaller LH rock - I take the point that it may get engulfed by plants so I maybe I should raise this slightly on polystyrene (which I have done with the main back rock).

Keith, thank you for going into detail I appreciate the time you've taken to critique my work. I am very new to the aquascaping scene and this is my first ever attempt. I also appreciate that I've gone for one of the most difficult styles but I'm going to give it a go. That tank and hardscaping gear has been sat in the room for over a month now and I have spent nearly every day reading and learning about aquascaping. Its gotten to a point where I just need to get on with it or I'll keep changing my mind or finding new bits of advice.

I'm not expecting a master piece as my first attempt but all the advice is much appreciated.

Do you think I've built up the substrate to high at the front and side?

Also, I'm fully aware that I may struggle to get a decent carpet with my current set up but I'm going to see how it goes over the next few months before I invest more in some stretch LEDs etc.

Substrate - Tropica Powder
Tank - Fluval Edge 23L

Bopowarls
I'm not expecting a master piece as my first attempt but all the advice is much appreciated.
Near enough is not good enough, therefore good enough is not near enough, and only your best will do. Keith: many years ago.

I learnt this from my 36 in the trade including being a trade teacher for 26 years. You will be completely surprised to find out what you can do if you take it slowly and learn as you progress. That is the only reason I suggested the Mock Tank. Its far easier and safer and more fun doing it that way. The substrate can be common sand or even garden soil.

The main viewing point will be from the LH side ish
Just a double check looking at the photo its the LH end is actually the main viewing area?

Do you think I've built up the substrate to high at the front and side?
If you are going to have rooted plants 8cm is plenty if using a carpet plant far less (I will leave that one up to a carpet plant expert)

Also, I'm fully aware that I may struggle to get a decent carpet with my current set up but I'm going to see how it goes over the next few months before I invest more in some stretch LEDs etc
Listen to the carpet plant experts and you will surprise your self what you have done.

[

Hi Keith,

Yes the LH had side is the first thing you see as you enter the room and then you'd move to a front on view as you sat down to view / admire it.

I've tried to set it up so it looks natural and aesthetic both from the side LH view and then again as you sit down in front of it (hence the slight cluttering on the RH side).

It's all about fine tuning so I'll muddle around with it again tonight.

Generally one runs substrate 2-3 cm at front, 8-10cm (or higher) at back to increase perspective- you’ll need to chose which view you want to emphasize

The Edge isn’t the easiest tank to work within, you’ll want to consider light fall if you’re staying with the stock LED, also filter positioning - most importantly access for trimming and glass maintenance

That’s a lot of plant species inside a rather small tank, you should choose main vs accessory species (just a few highlight “stems”)
BUT if using the stock light, you’ll also need to take into account the effect on growth patterns from the uneven lighting eg HC will struggle in the heavily shaded areas, MC would be more forgiving

I’m never that keen on hardscapes that I have transitioned from “mock” tanks - perhaps it’s the effect of the Kessil lighting which tends to creat more light/shadow effect but I usually stray rather far afield ... now I just look for inspiration in the mock-up and expect slight to drastic changes once working in-tank
Note that water vs air also affects perception
And of course, plant growth - leaf shapes, colours, textures

In Diorama scapes, hardscape defines the layout as plants are minimalistic (another moss please ;))
In plant dominated scapes, some that begin with rather bland hardscapes, develop into outstanding tanks ... I’ve Takashi Amano’s Nature Aquarium World volumes and still prefer many of those scapes over the more contemporary IAPLC top choices

Hi Alto,

Yes the plan is to try my best with the stock set-up. However, I will may end up upgrading the lighting if I fail.

Co2 - At moment i'll just be dosing with easy carbo. I want to challenge and I'm in no rush for quick growth. Again if I'm failing i'll look at setting up a co2 extinguisher kit.

Back