• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up
Re: [IWAGUMI] Project Scree

it looks so much better with the grey gravel :D .
i've been there picking out the "right" coloured gravel from the bag for my tank.a very tedious task :lol: .

i like the pale background better.but i'm normally wrong :p .

Thanks, Neil.

I like the pale too (it's actually no background at all with a pale wall behind).

Trouble is, I have black plastic spraybar and inlet. So if I intend to enjoy looking at this tank with the pale background, then I'll need to invest in some 17mm glassware, and the consequential maintenance and likely breakages!

Decisions, decisions... :D

Anymore thoughts on the black vs. pale background, please?

Notice the different in lenses and light source too... (28mm vs. 50mm, overtank flash vs. T5 fluorescent).

4763384980_d128df9698_o.jpg

4786847587_c5f008e196_b.jpg

i think you need to get the hairgrass in first and then decide which looks better.

The pale background works a treat, but then i've always liked the lighter looking scape.

The new arrangement is mental mate! real nice.

Thanks, guys.

I'm thinking pale at the moment. A real fresh look with the hairgrass. Remember it's acicularis so it's real tall and spiky compared with the parvula that's more commonly available.

Keep the thoughts coming though; it's really interesting to hear different opinions.

love the marbling in the rocks :). Im for the pale background

4786847587_c5f008e196_b.jpg

This rock work looks excellent i can see you have spent time studying those veins and get them lined up :geek:
plus the two rocks at the back left and right help create depth within the scape, have you done this b4? :lol: :lol: :rolleyes:
I have to say that i like the black background myself, but the latter rock work is better!

One question though, if you are planting acicularis and its a longer grass have you got enough height in the rocks, or is it just going to be a 'wall' along the back?
:wave:

Thanks, Andy. :)

I've had acicularis grow upwards of 15cm before so I'm hoping they'll be enough height and I can also prune it to length towards the edges of the layout.

I'll also plant the hairgrass behind the rocks only, so the base of the grass won't be visible. This will add a further sense of depth, especially if I also use a wide angle lens for photography.

As you can probably see already, it's not so much a planted tank, but a rock dominated aquascape with accent planting.

My main issue will be keeping algae under control with such low biomass, but I have a few ideas for that (see first post).

what lens do you reckon you'll use George? do you reckon you'll over come the 'crop factor' ?

I gota say again, this layout looks spot on. your best to date.

saintly said:
what lens do you reckon you'll use George? do you reckon you'll over come the 'crop factor' ?

I gota say again, this layout looks spot on. your best to date.
Maybe I'll have to borrow someone's 5D Mk2 with a 15mm and Bowens lighting... ;)

Thanks mate.

Pale for me too George. I'd try Elatine hydropipper as carpet plant, Bacopa sp Japan between the rocks and Rotala rotondifolia geen in the back. Eleocharis for me is so last year :).

clonitza said:
Eleocharis for me is so last year :).

but thats trying to say that nature changes daily. Grass will always be grass...especially with iwagumi.

George Farmer said:
Maybe I'll have to borrow someone's 5D Mk2 with a 15mm and Bowens lighting... ;)

:lol: your welcome to it.

Back