• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Iwagumi Nano 30 x 21 x 26cm

Ollie_S

Seedling
Hi All,

After browsing on the forum for the past couple of years I decided to take the plunge and set up an account, and thought what better way to start than to create a journal for a new scape!

The aim is to try and create a steep mountain creek inspired by recent travelling, thus I thought some seiryu stone (mini landscaping stone) would be a suitable candidate for the job.

For the planting I was thinking Micranthemum 'Monte-Carlo', Pogostemon Helferi, Dwarf Hairgrass with some Phoenix Moss 'Fissidens Fox' although I am open to suggestions at this point.

Livestock will consist of maybe a couple of CRS shrimp or cherry shrimp. Possibly keeping this as a shrimp tank, although again, I am open to suggestions!

The Hardscape Stage 1

I wanted to attempt something different and create a fairly symmetrical scape, which I thought would give the a sense of individual perspective of looking directly up a gorge.

I heavily banked up the substrate (JBL Scapers Soil) and started to position the main 4 stones to hold the substrate in position.

KICKVID2.jpg

111.jpg

KICKVID.jpg

IMG_3534.jpg

Added small fragments to make it look more natural and aid a sense of scale.

FullSizeRender.jpg

IMG_3574.jpg

The final shot:

IMG_3584_2.jpg

Please feel free to give me any criticisms and or advice, it would be greatly appreciated!

Hi Ollie S! Your hardscape is fantastic looking! This is going to sound strange, but I like it without plants! The talent observed on this site is impressive and at the same time, intimidating. We are following along and looking forward to seeing it wet!

Hi, If I were you I will choose smaller plants, like elatine hydropiper or hc cuba instead of MC, which looks a bit too big in this small tank.

The stones needs to be bigger or less in the substrate because the carpeting plant will 'eat' your hardscape details.

You could try to make the 'path' smaller on the back of the tank, to give better depth.

good luck, that's a nice start ;)

I see you have a biotopia tank, how do you rate the quality? I was close to purchasing one recently

Hi Ollie S! Your hardscape is fantastic looking! This is going to sound strange, but I like it without plants! The talent observed on this site is impressive and at the same time, intimidating. We are following along and looking forward to seeing it wet!

Yes you are right about the quality of the aquascapes on here, they are top notch! I agree which is drawing me to plant this very minimally. Haha me too!

Hi, If I were you I will choose smaller plants, like elatine hydropiper or hc cuba instead of MC, which looks a bit too big in this small tank.

The stones needs to be bigger or less in the substrate because the carpeting plant will 'eat' your hardscape details.

You could try to make the 'path' smaller on the back of the tank, to give better depth.

good luck, that's a nice start ;)

Thanks for the input, I elevated the rock and and carved a better path using some different slightly larger stone fragments to prevent them getting covered by the HC, I hope it has made a difference!

IMG_3609.jpg

I have ordered some HC Cuba and Pogostemon Helferi and see where to go from there. Ill draw up an image of where I'm planning for the plants hopefully later today.

I see you have a biotopia tank, how do you rate the quality? I was close to purchasing one recently

You have a PM. :)

I do like your set up, suits a nano nicely, and not to derail, but I don't understand why Biotopia engraved their logo in the glass. I find that really distracting.

So the HC Cuba arrived today and the Pogostemon Helferi should arrive tomorrow. Any thoughts on moss to place on a couple of the rocks? I was thinking Phoenix moss but I'm not to sure now.

Anyway here is the planting:

IMG_3616.jpg

IMG_3618.jpg

IMG_3618.jpg

fbb995fe-1071-4fce-b988-0a21836db0e3.jpg

IMG_3621.jpg

I am going to attempt a dry start for a couple of weeks ( as I know I will just end up filling it before a month) just to get the HC to take and then fill with water. I have a welding gas Co2 setup and glass cover putting around 3-4 bubbles per second with a photoperiod of around 10hrs, spraying every few hours with a diluted water fertiliser mix.

Any feedback would be great.

I was literally wondering today if people did gas during dry starts. I thought I came up with a brilliant idea! Is there any school of thought on how introduced co2 improves dry start growth.

It has been done, but the advantages are debatable.

This guy (aquarium shop owner) did it because he was desperate to carpet a tank quickly for a competition.

I thought I read somewhere that it helped with gas exchange thus inhibiting mould and preventing rot? Although I guess allowing a small current of air, or removing the lid would have the same effect. I'll take it off today and see if I notice any significant changes over the next week.

Day 7 Of the Dry-Start

Things seem to be coming on nicely! The HC has started to carpet, gradually producing runners through the substrate and the pogostemon helferi also seems to be growing nicely.

Currently spraying twice a day and allowing for gas exchange of around an hour with the lid off per day also. Co2 levels set at 4bps but shall be removing it to see if it makes any difference.

Also any moss suggestions as I think the back right rock is missing something?

IMG_3656.jpg

IMG_3657.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_3657.jpg
    IMG_3657.jpg
    398.4 KB · Views: 289
  • IMG_3657.jpg
    IMG_3657.jpg
    398.4 KB · Views: 263
  • IMG_3657.jpg
    IMG_3657.jpg
    398.4 KB · Views: 280
  • IMG_3657.jpg
    IMG_3657.jpg
    398.4 KB · Views: 270
  • IMG_3657.jpg
    IMG_3657.jpg
    398.4 KB · Views: 284
  • IMG_3656.jpg
    IMG_3656.jpg
    372.7 KB · Views: 279
  • IMG_3656.jpg
    IMG_3656.jpg
    372.7 KB · Views: 281
  • IMG_3656.jpg
    IMG_3656.jpg
    372.7 KB · Views: 271
  • IMG_3656.jpg
    IMG_3656.jpg
    372.7 KB · Views: 255
  • IMG_3656.jpg
    IMG_3656.jpg
    372.7 KB · Views: 273
Good luck mate, personally think Iwagumi carpet tanks are the most beautiful displays.

How is the dry start going? Have you decided on a moss yet? Tracy and I are fans of "Christmas Moss", (probably because it is one of the few things that we have had success with. We had wanted "Taiwan Moss" but could not locate any of it). Your photography is stunning and we would certainly enjoy a couple of teasers! :)

Back