• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Iwagumi · ADA 60P

@nano

Hello,

First post here, and only a couple of years in the hobby. I'm opening this journal hoping for feedback on my first iwagumi layout, and to share the progress along the way.
The tank was previously running with a different scape for many months without issues, so it is safe for the fish and amano shrimp to already be in.
The plant mass has been drastically reduced though, I adjusted the CO2 and ferts accordingly (hopefully!).

The picture attached is 24 hours after planting. Hope you guys like it :)

Tank: ADA 60P
Water: RO, TDS ~150
Light: Twinstar III 600SM - 8 hours/day @ 85% (Ramping up and down in the first and last hour)
Filter: Biomaster 350 (thermo)
Substrate: Tropica Soil Powder
Ferts: APT Complete
Plants: Monte Carlo (carpet), Potamogeton gayi (background), S. Repens and Bucephalandra Deep Purple (details)
CO2 injection: Yes

Attachments

• Day 1.png
    Day 1.png
    8.7 MB · Views: 1,032
Hello,

First post here, and only a couple of years in the hobby. I'm opening this journal hoping for feedback on my first iwagumi layout, and to share the progress along the way.
The tank was previously running with a different scape for many months without issues, so it is safe for the fish and amano shrimp to already be in.
The plant mass has been drastically reduced though, I adjusted the CO2 and ferts accordingly (hopefully!).

The picture attached is 24 hours after planting. Hope you guys like it :)

Tank: ADA 60P
Water: RO, TDS ~150
Light: Twinstar III 600SM - 8 hours/day @ 85% (Ramping up and down in the first and last hour)
Filter: Biomaster 350 (thermo)
Substrate: Tropica Soil Powder
Ferts: APT Complete
Plants: Monte Carlo (carpet), Potamogeton gayi (background), S. Repens and Bucephalandra Deep Purple (details)
CO2 injection: Yes
Really like this dark rock, fabulous colour. Should look great in contrast to the carpet.

I really like the rocks and the layout but feel a lighter background would help highlight the scape and rock formations. They seem to disappear somewhat with the current background.
Great start.

I really like the rocks and the layout but feel a lighter background would help highlight the scape and rock formations. They seem to disappear somewhat with the current background.
Great start.
Thanks! It doesn't look as dark in person, but I definitely get the same feeling.
I've been considering getting a light screen, but the various price tags give me second thoughts.
I'll play around with the idea when the carpet covers the soil, as it might also make the overall picture a bit lighter.

Will try to post weekly pictures 🙂

10 days update -
I didn't start with the healthiest monte carlo, but new shoots seem to be quite healthy. Looking back, I wish I had split the monte carlo even more, and planted it deeper.
Hoping the first trim will help getting an even, healthy carpet.
I added a white background, which seems to be the way to go here.

The rocks from the previous scape have some BBA and GDA, which I'll clear up when the MC is well rooted. I'm not too worried about algae at this point.

The potamogeton in the background gives it a messy look, I might change it for some long hair grass. Suggestions are more than welcome! :)

Cheers!

Attachments

• IMG_1834.jpeg
    IMG_1834.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 253
5 weeks update -
I let the monte carlo grow and the new shoots were much healthier. However, the size of the new leaves was larger, and it didn't make the carpet look very neat.

IMG_1874.jpeg

So today I decided to uproot the MC, and replant only the new healthy shoots.
Feels like a step backwards, but hopefully it pays off in the long run.
I've also increased CO2 and lowered the light intensity to get rid of BBA. It seems to be limiting the spread so far.
The rocks were taken out and cleaned with hydrogen peroxide, but I'm trying to avoid using chemicals in the tank.

IMG_1889.jpeg

IMG_1891.jpeg

Still using APT complete, but feeling a bit impatient with it. I'm considering switching to EI. Would this be a good idea at this point, especially for an iwagumi?

Back