• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

It's always good to empty and check the cannister filter each clean...

...because I just found a Luccipinnis Catfish fry in my Oase pre-filter and another 6 inside the cannister (well, I rescued them before they sailed down the plug hole).
Now, what to do with 7 more Luccipinnis?
Shrimp and extra large floss pre-filters on a sump man.... oh god the memories... drying shrimps jumping around...

When I dismantled my old 160l tank I totally forgot to do so. When I got round to cleaning the filter a few days later and found a handful of dead shrimp I felt so guilty :(

When I dismantled my old 160l tank I totally forgot to do so. When I got round to cleaning the filter a few days later and found a handful of dead shrimp I felt so guilty :(
Yes me too. Hope none of mine went down the sink!

Sorry to hijack, but can shrimp grow in the filter ? I introduced a dozen to my tank a couple of months ago and they've been breeding quite successfully. Having found a few shrimp in my filter a week or two back I decided to improvise and I made a temporary inlet cover out of and old pair of the wifes tights. Did a filter clean last night and there's still shrimp in there, way bigger than would get through a pair of nylons. The other scenario I guess, is I missed them a fortnight ago.

Pat

100% if your filter eats your livestock. I stopped this by adding a prefilter sponge to my Fluval 307. Prior to this I lost several Ember Tetra. (They did not fair so well as your fry). I removed the stock intake strainer completely and replaced with a prefilter sponge. I used a shim (pvc tubing) to ensure a tight fit around the intake stem, and cut an inch off the sponge and used this to plug the hole at the bottom, held in place by two cocktail sticks. (The cocktail sticks sit flush within the prefilter sponge).

Back