• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Is this nettle?

confusedman

Is this the nettle that the shrimp can eat?
It looks like nettle to me but the leaves are too round for what I remember a nettle
20210324_154202.jpeg
looks like in my area so I wonder if its a different plant

Thanks

It looks like nettle to me. If you pull the stem and pull it out of the ground it should have a yellow root. That and it will sting you.

Yes, that's nettles. I think once dry they don't sting but handle with care. I imagine the leaf variation is time of year - it's a bit early for them to really get going.

I would imagine dead nettle might be ok to feed too as that's edible for people and land animals. Also safer to pick. The leaves a very similar but slightly more rounded rather than pointed at the serrations.

Bramble/blackberry would be another one you are likely to find out and about.

If you are unsure, let it grow abit and they are easier to tell when flowering :)

Easy way to find out. Does it sting?

In spring they don't have much of a sting, if any at all. The new growth takes a while to harden up and become a nuisance. We have a few Hungarians who are feverishly picking the new growth on the golf course near me at the moment because it's a very nutritious food, hence why they develop a sting.

Back