• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Is this Diatoms? or something else?

Nick Norman

I have had this brown algae since changing to pressurised co2 from liquid 4 months ago. The tank is a few years old, re-scaped about 7 months ago.I have the lights lower now then I did with liquid carbon but can't get rid of it. I have good flow and stable pressurised co2 I think. The plants are healthier than they where with liquid carbon (no holes in leaves) but everything looks brown!

Any advice appreciated,

DSC01157.JPG
DSC01158.JPG

I have had this brown algae since changing to pressurised co2 from liquid 4 months ago. The tank is a few years old, re-scaped about 7 months ago.I have the lights lower now then I did with liquid carbon but can't get rid of it. I have good flow and stable pressurised co2 I think. The plants are healthier than they where with liquid carbon (no holes in leaves) but everything looks brown!

Any advice appreciated,

View attachment 112424 View attachment 112425

I'd say it's a BBA of some descript and which is directly an issue with inadequate levels of co2 and the dissipation of it or both. This is also backed up by your curling crypt leaves. There's plenty of hard copy advise on here to assist with the eradication and the prevention of it. Diatoms is also present in the top image which is down to too intensity of lighting or the duration of - again there's plenty of advise in here to help you out.

Best wishes
Matty

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was thinking of dosing the tank with liquid carbon but I have Vallisneria. Will the liquid carbon harm the Valls? I read that it damages there cells.

Hi
Yes it will most likely damage the valis as U will need to overdose in order to make impact on the algae.The most effetive way is spot dosing with syringe with filters off but U have it everywhere.Have a look at the link that I posted about the root causes as is very likely even if killed the algae to come back after a while.
Regards Konsa

Yes it is useful, Thanks Konsa. I have used the dosing calculator which is also useful but hadn't come across that page. Now I know which algae it is i will have a read up and hopefully sort out the cause.

Back