• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Is this an aquatic moss?

Neocaridina

Seedling
1CBE363A-9FBA-4FF2-B165-FD22A1DCB4F2.jpeg
C7B821AF-F38A-47AC-B1A9-F261F0A5A971.jpeg
477BEB69-A826-4CD9-814F-87C0F1C7EC25.jpeg
I planted out a patch of Eleocharis ‘Belem’ and 6 weeks later, saw this growing out of a tuft. Is it a type of aquatic moss? It doesn’t not look anything like Java moss to me. Can anyone identify it?
It’s the upright slim one that looks a bit like a conifer leaflet just to the right of the fish tail in the picture. (It’s difficult to get it in focus)

It most likely is aquatic form of Leptodictum riparium.. :) A very common moss growing all over the world emrsed in a different form as well as submersed growing stringy.. Very common in the aqaurium trade sold as Stringy moss.

But it easily could be another type that resambles this moss. Many mosses can grow in both forms emersed and submersed and many of these aqautic forms grow rather stringy and look a like. I have moss in one of my tanks growing stringy but isn't L. riparium and don't know what it realy is.

If you like a propper ID you need to look at the leaf with a pocket microscope 60x mag could be enough. If it shows a central vain in the leaf like in the bellow picture. Than you can be pretty sure it is L. riparium, if it doesn't than it's something else looking simmular.
TN9nwfe7PoomxyKJpqX3Lo7mFMJUNR6QJIIh7Hd2Hp8HuVIW7x.jpg

Here is such a look a like. Drepanocladus aduncus. ANd even with a microscope, both are pretty difficult to properly determine.
223849.jpg

Last edited:
Hi all,
I think @dw1305 has identified this one a couple of times already.
Yes, but not necessarily correctly. Unfortunately it is "pick a name", with no real way of knowing what a moss is, without a look at a spore capsule.

Your moss does look like Marcel's ( @zozo's) suggestion.

We don't know where the moss was grown? but Australia has quite tight laws on biosecurity, and I know that Australia is pretty much the only place in the world where Leptodictyum riparium <"doesn't occur naturally">.

cheers Darrel

Ok so I better make sure whatever it is doesn’t get into our water systems. I am inclined to think it is Drepanocladus as it is growing upright rather than spreading though as some stage will look at it under a microscope.

Ok so I better make sure whatever it is doesn’t get into our water systems
Or.............you could get as famous as the guys that introduced rabbits..........:):)

Or.............you could get as famous as the guys that introduced rabbits..........:):)

And Sheep.. :) And imagine, Australia is the only country/continent in the world with Camels in the wild. While in Africa the wild camel is cultivated into extinction..

Hi all,
Ok so I better make sure whatever it is doesn’t get into our water systems. I am inclined to think it is Drepanocladus as it is growing upright rather than spreading though as some stage will look at it under a microscope.
A bit of looking has uncovered that D. aduncus is <"native to W. Australia">, so that probably makes it a bit more likely as an ID.

If you can get a look at the leaf (microphyll) under the microscope it should look like the example <"Marcel posted"> with "inflated basal cells".

Drepanocladus%20aduncus%203_15374130.jpg

I couldn't find anything for the rest of Australia, but my suspicion would be that it is native to NSW etc as well.

cheers Darrel

Back