• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Is this Acorus sp.?

Sarpijk

Hi all ,

I have collected a grass type marginal plant hoping I can use it in a riparium style setup.
I believe it's Acorus sp.

Here are some pics of the plant itself, its roots and seed pod.
249073a8d2a13ad1e7e29fdfecfe8a75.jpg
b721cfac330a63c617be9e07408492f6.jpg
e65f563a76146c1279e489e7792c10df.jpg

Sent from my Redmi 3 using Tapatalk

Hi Darrel, no it was collected in central Greece.

Is it suitable for a riparium setup?

Is it suitable for a riparium setup?
Probably, tho Carex is a very hungry root feeder, it seems to need a good fertilized substrate. I tried to get Carex panacea to grow above the tank with the roots fed from the water column only, it didn't realy work very well. Also got it in the garden in the ponds filter basket growing on fritted glass and it took a year before it started to a desent mass and flower. I guess it took a year for the media to mature and feed the plant and grow a desent root structure. Cyperus also a sedge family is easier to grow in my experience, grows readily from collected seeds and can be planted deeper. Cyperus helferi is a popular one offered in the aquarium trade.. Probably because it is one of the smallest C. alternifolius (umbrella sedge) is also possible but a big one.

fa97955f9173676cb367d5d6fca107ab.jpg

Hi , I got two pots of Acorus Pusillus. Will it survive at a riparium setting?

Thanks Darrel, I planted it yesterday. Couldn you tell me how tall it might get? Also is it resilient and can it withstand a mild Mediterranean winter if I were to keep it outdoors?

Here is a quick pic of the setup. I used a shower caddy.
264866307945af005d9a95ef465431ef.jpg

Last edited:
Back