• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Is this a bacterial bloom?

Liam1989

I set this tank up at the weekend and the water was clear. The next day I noticed it had gone slightly cloudy and you can almost see it moving in the flow of the water. I've also got some build up of something on the wood. Is this all related to a bacterial bloom? This is it now. I have noise stock in there but have used tap safe and a filter starter.

Attachments

• 20220616_185507.jpg
    20220616_185507.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 141
  • 20220616_185458.jpg
    20220616_185458.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 97
  • 20220616_185505.jpg
    20220616_185505.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 90
Is this all related to a bacterial bloom?
Hi @Liam1989

It may be a bacterial bloom but I suspect it's more likely to be related to the fungal growth that is clearly visible on the wood. If you leave it, there's a good chance that it will slowly disappear. FWIW, my opinion is that the wood leaches nutrients into the water. These nutrients are then taken up by fungal spores in the water column. That's my hypothesis but other aquarists may have a different explanation. It will be interesting to hear from others.

JPC

It's harmless fungus you get with certain new wood added to aquarium water. Nothing to worry about. Free food for fish. It will go away soon enough. . Out of interest Liam you are not from Tonbridge are you ?

It's harmless fungus you get with certain new wood added to aquarium water. Nothing to worry about. Free food for fish. It will go away soon enough. . Out of interest Liam you are not from Tonbridge are you ?
Nope - sorry

FWIW, my opinion is that the wood leaches nutrients into the water. These nutrients are then taken up by fungal spores in the water column. That's my hypothesis but other aquarists may have a different explanation. It will be interesting to hear from others.
As the fungus is usually attached to the wood, I have always assumed that it feeds on nutrients that remain in the wood. This could easily be wrong. :)

Back