• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Is this a baby Beckford's pencilfish

AlecF

It's slow in movements and doesn't;t look that much like a pencilfish, but I can't think what else it could be. Having gone to the effort of getting rid of my Beckford's I think I still have 2 baby Beckford's. Anyone able to confirm the ID?
CC954811-1BCB-43F6-979D-209E654126BB_1_201_a.jpeg

Tail looks distinctive and quite like nannostomus fry but i can't say for sure off a picture.
What else do you have in the tank? process of elimination will give you the answer, look at pictures of the fry of every species you have in or have had in the tank, and whatever looks most similar will be it.

It's slow in movements and doesn't;t look that much like a pencilfish, but I can't think what else it could be. Having gone to the effort of getting rid of my Beckford's I think I still have 2 baby Beckford's. Anyone able to confirm the ID?View attachment 177740
If you don’t have any other pencil fish species then yes that’s a baby beckfords.

Cheers

It was a funny or silly question, as there have only been pencilfish, and more recent habrosus Cory, but too juvenile to breed. It just looks such an odd prehistoric slow moving baby, when I think of the darting fierceness of the adults. Thanks for confirming the obvious. I wanted to be sure something hadn't come in with plants or a basket made of rushes kind of thing... Will I ever be rid of pencilfish! Well, they make sweet fry, so they have a few months before I give them away.

Pencilfish tend to be very cryptic for a long time and this is their camouflage. The ones that breed in my tank naturally go completely unnoticed until they are about a cm long and looking like tiny, less colourful versions of the adults.
In truth it's a very long time since I have bred beckfords deliberately and can't really remember what they looked like so little, I have bred eques since then and yours look identical and they are obviously a pencilfish as all the pencils I've bred have looked like that, so they must be beckfords.

It is, yes

Back