• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Is the tap water in your country are soft?And if so, what are the GH and KH values?

globali

Seedling

Is the tap water in your country are soft? And if so, what are the GH and KH values?​

2Gh, 0Kh in NE Scotland. Almost RO water.

Thank you very much,

DaveWatkin

Of course, the question is relevant, only for those who use their tap soft water for planted tank.
Please upload picture of your tank along with the values.

Last edited:
Got three just now. I remineralise the water I put in to 6Gh/6Kh.

Attachments

• IMG_20210404_191539.jpg
    IMG_20210404_191539.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 147
  • IMG_20210404_191548.jpg
    IMG_20210404_191548.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 149
  • IMG_20210404_191607.jpg
    IMG_20210404_191607.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 137
Hi all,
Welcome to UKAPS.
In Zagreb, Croatia 16kH, 22GH. A liquid rock, I'd say. But Ca to Mg ratio is solid 4:1 straight out of tap.
It is very different from most of us. Much of the hard water in the UK comes from pure <"limestone aquifers"> with a very high <"Ca : Mg ratio">.

Your higher levels of magnesium are because of "dolomitization", with the Mediterranean basin having <"dried out"> and <"evaporite minerals"> being formed as the water evaporated. A similar situation occurs in the Mid-West of the USA, where an epicratonic sea has continually <"flooded the continent and then retreated">.

cheers Darrel

Yes, I think you are right on target there. The high magnesium content was always part of the debate here when it was discussed the quality of tap water over the years I was in the hobby. Generally, I don't have to much trouble growing plants, but it does take a lot of effort to dissolve CO2 little higher than usual and to be very elaborate with getting it around the tank.
Perhaps related to this story, very close to us, across the border in Slovenia, they have the highest Mg content carbonated bottled water anywhere I guess. It is called Donat Mg and it has 1 gram of Magnesium Carbonates per liter. One 2 dl glass is usually enough to rectify any constipation issues one may have....

Last edited:
Back