• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

is the flow right?

oddn0ise

Hi, have placed the wood exactly in the right position, visually, but the flow from the filter is aiming at the wood.
Should flow be quite strong, through the tank or does it help plants and CO2 to restrain the flow? There's plenty of it, but, it's not flowing through the tank.

Any thoughts...

IMG_1290.jpg

Journal on progress so far:
https://www.ukaps.org/forum/threads/return-to-aquascaping-270l-oddn0ise.53761/

img_1312-jpg.jpg

oddn0ise,

Is this the tank we are referring too.
Two questions comes to mind immediately.
Why did you not use a spray bar for the filter outlet?
Where is the filter inlet?

Hi, have placed the wood exactly in the right position, visually,
That is certainly debatable. It is not in any focal points and most important it divides the tank into two sections with a straight uninteresting path in the middle.

This is what I would do would be remove that piece of wood at the RH end as a starter.
Remove all the white glary substrate in the centre and replace it with the same substrate you have used for the rest of the tank.

Plant similar plants in that centre area this would then give you a very good water flow, a very tidy eye flow and most important it in my opinion will over all look a lot better Aquascape.

A few good water changes eg 50% every 2nd or 3rd day and rinse the filter out in the old water at every water change and it should be crystal clear in a few days. This will depend on your filter and the media you are using.

Keith:wave::wave:

OK spray bar is an option, just have not used one for a long time. Inlet is bottom right beneath the outlet. The main question is: is having the flow from the filter flowing into the wood a good or a bad thing. So still a high turn-over of the water just not that much movement/flow through the tank. Is this good or not so good?

Interesting comments about the layout too. Having not done a centred scape before I thought I'd try it, so will continue but will make adjustments to the glary area now. Thanks!

Rinse through of filter and a big water change are already having an effect.

Attachments

• IMG_1317.jpg
    IMG_1317.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 241
Last edited:
I tried a similar outlet on my 500l tank and great output but pants for tank turnover, judging by the way the tall plants at the back are both leaning towards the center of the tank on either side from a single outlet surgesting to me the turnover may not be ideal! Spraybar at the back FTW IMO.

oddn0ise
Now I can see the inlet. It's location is not helping with the water flow at all. To get a better full water flow and circulation a spray bar at one end and the inlet at the other end.

With your filter the water should have been crystal clear under a week.
Rinse through of filter and a big water change are already having an effect.
That is a very good starting point.

Keith:wave::wave:

The opening of that outlet looks massive. Way too big for the filter IMHO. The flow will never get to the opposite side of the tank.

I'd get a 16mm outlet in place of that instead if it were me or a spray bar.

Back