• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up
  • You can now follow UKAPS on Instagram.

Is that too much light?

Charbel1011

I have chihiros vivid 2 2 sets of them on my waterbox 72 gallons tank. i did a mistake when i started this tank like 2 weeks ago setting the light to 100% intensity running 8 hours. so i contacted my lfs and he said lower the intesnity and cut 1 hour. so now im running those settings 60/45/59 60 red, 45 green, and 59 blue. Algae is getting worse everyday. should i lower the intensity more or not?

medlight

I have chihiros vivid 2 2 sets of them on my waterbox 72 gallons tank. i did a mistake when i started this tank like 2 weeks ago setting the light to 100% intensity running 8 hours. so i contacted my lfs and he said lower the intesnity and cut 1 hour. so now im running those settings 60/45/59 60 red, 45 green, and 59 blue. Algae is getting worse everyday. should i lower the intensity more or not?
With the vegetable mass that you maintain, I would go maximum 50/25/30 6 hours max with a ramp of 30 minutes

erwin123

1642208292293.png

Sorry, when I recommended 60% setting for your 72 gallons tank, I thought you had WRGB2, not Vivid 2. Vivid 2 is like almost double the power of an WRGB2...... so I agree maybe start at 30% and slowly increase if the algae stops growing? Double Vivid 2 is a scary amount of light :cool:

p.s. this is the first time I've seen algae pearling.....

Charbel1011

View attachment 179984

Sorry, when I recommended 60% setting for your 72 gallons tank, I thought you had WRGB2, not Vivid 2. Vivid 2 is like almost double the power of an WRGB2...... so I agree maybe start at 30% and slowly increase if the algae stops growing? Double Vivid 2 is a scary amount of light :cool:

p.s. this is the first time I've seen algae pearling.....
Dude omg i wanted to DM u to ask u again yes i have vivid 2. What settings i should try? Please tell me for red green blue? Can u give me some settings yes i have 2 sets

erwin123

Dude omg i wanted to DM u to ask u again yes i have vivid 2. What settings i should try? Please tell me for red green blue? Can u give me some settings yes i have 2 sets

The priority at this stage is to stop the algae, rather than to have nice red plants, so just go 30/25/30, regular water changes, until the algae goes away. After it goes away, increase 1% every day until you reach a light level you are happy with.
If algae reoccurs, then consider reducing the light.

The algae is not so bad that I would say you have to reset your tank with a 72-hour blackout, but I'll let others chime in. (I've used 72 hour blackout before, its really effective though very sensitive plants may not make it).

(1) Clean tank
(2) Water flow/circulation, especially at substrate level
(3) good and stable CO2 (lime green drop checker)

erwin123

this is one of those things where its not the 'starting point' but where you end up. If your LFS advises 70/40/50 and your algae problem is under control, thats great. If not, you would probably have to go back to the LFS and they will say 65/35/45, then 60/30/40 etc... until the problem goes away. (hopefully they don't try to sell you something for your algae problem).

the advice of plantnoobdude is to start the other way, maybe 30/30/30 which should fix the problem, then slowly increase, and you may also eventually end up at 60/30/40, for example.