• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Is razor tool to clean glass safe ?

eminor

Hello, maybe it's not a good question i bought a tank from a guy that gave me a jbl razor glass cleaner, is it risky to use it on the glass ? if no how to correctly use it ? i don't want more scratche on my tank, thx

Hi @eminor, I am personally not a fan of using those razor blade scrapers - I've scratched glass in the past. If you're refurbishing an older empty tank and need to remove limestone and such it works, but you need to be super careful and make sure the surface you apply the razor to is wet.

Personally I only use a non-scratch sponge when cleaning the glass interior of my tanks - I just have to be careful I don't trap any snails etc. between the sponge and the glass as this will lead to scratches as well.

Cheers,
Michael

Honestly, I've been fine using razor blades, I use them every single time I do water changes. I use the Seachem algae scraper because I like the long handle, but it's just simply a razor blade on a long stick. You do have to be careful when using them, but when used correctly they shouldn't scratch at all. It's important to apply even pressure so that the entire blade is flat against the glass, you don't want to be putting pressure on the corners. Also, make sure you don't get anything hard like a spec of sand caught under the blade, because that will definitely cause scratches. It's probably riskier using them in tanks with fine sand for that reason.

I use a melamine sponge to get rid of the lighter stuff like diatoms/biofilms/lose algae first, and then follow up with the razor if there is anything tougher like green spot algae left. If you try it out, then use it first on a side panel of glass, any scratches will be less intrusive than on the front panel.

Honestly, I've been fine using razor blades, I use them every single time I do water changes. I use the Seachem algae scraper because I like the long handle, but it's just simply a razor blade on a long stick. You do have to be careful when using them, but when used correctly they shouldn't scratch at all. It's important to apply even pressure so that the entire blade is flat against the glass, you don't want to be putting pressure on the corners. Also, make sure you don't get anything hard like a spec of sand caught under the blade, because that will definitely cause scratches. It's probably riskier using them in tanks with fine sand for that reason.

I use a melamine sponge to get rid of the lighter stuff like diatoms/biofilms/lose algae first, and then follow up with the razor if there is anything tougher like green spot algae left. If you try it out, then use it first on a side panel of glass, any scratches will be less intrusive than on the front panel.
Same here.
The hardness of a material is rated in Mohs, where talc is rated as 1 Mohs and diamond 10 Mohs. Glass ranks around 5.5 to 7 Mohs. Most razor blades probably slightly less, so not likely to scratch glass unless you're trying really hard.

I prefer short to long handles because it makes it easier to feel the pressure is even. Same reason I prefer Stiff to flexible handles. Only use underwater and I find pulling towards me so I can see the action of the blade rather than pushing where something might get wedged.

There is definitely the possibility to scratch the glass with a razor blade if you are not careful. This said, sand is usually why most tanks get scratched. Even a single particle of sand in a sponge will reck havoc. Fortunately most light scratches are less visible when there is water in the tank but become much more apparent when the tank is empty. This said once you get scratches, it will be difficult not to obsess over it.

Amazon product ASIN B07886LQJ1
Always replace razor blades regularly. You can buy a pack of 100 from China seller for a small amount and the quality is good enough for fish tank use. The link provided is to the Qanvee store in Amazon.sg which also sells 40 spare blades (thats several years' worth of blades for S$9.99 which is cheap enough).

if you use a 'blunt' razor, you find yourself using more force. Also, the blades can eventually bend and not be perfectly straight.

If you use a fresh sharp blade, you're using much less force - and you are assured that the blade is level/straight (check before installing) and thus less likely to scratch glass.

Back