• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Is Purigen safe?

Great! Here goes... going in the filter now... looking forward to cleaner water. And I believe I can rinse it in bleach to regenerate it, sounds a little worrying using bleach but is that the case?
Yes. I've not done it yet but as long as you rinse it thoroughly and dechlorinate in accordance with Seachem's instructions then you'll be fine.

Absolutely brilliant stuff, I won't go without it in my tank. I have also been using is for about 2-3 years, when starting a new set up, there isn't any sign of diatoms. The water clarity is astonishing, and it keeps tds down. Like carbon but IMO 100x better.

Great stuff, but if you go with it use more than the manufacturer recommendation. 100ml / 400L is not that effective. Also get dirty too quickly and regeneration cycles become frequent.

I usually recommend 100ml / 100L at least. That way you can extend the regeneration to 3-4 months

Ordered myself some also

What should I expect ...I mean my water is clear with no surface scum so am I wasting money orrrrr?

Great stuff, but if you go with it use more than the manufacturer recommendation. 100ml / 400L is not that effective. Also get dirty too quickly and regeneration cycles become frequent.

I usually recommend 100ml / 100L at least. That way you can extend the regeneration to 3-4 months
I've gone 250ml for 60 litres! :)

I thought I had clear water (running carbon etc.) Then I started using Purigen...

From Carbon you need like 10 times much filter medium to achieve the same clearness like with Purigen.
That's the downside clearing with carbon. :)

Hi, do any of you guys know of a filter bag you can buy with small enough holes in it so the purigen doesn't make a mess? Is "The bag" from seachem suitable for purigen?

Hi, do any of you guys know of a filter bag you can buy with small enough holes in it so the purigen doesn't make a mess? Is "The bag" from seachem suitable for purigen?

Yes matty,

Thats its intended purpose.
You can even leave it in that bag when you recharge your purigen using bleach :)

Alternatively, use 60 denier tights ;)

I put some in yesterday after doing my water change and could notice a bit of a difference in water clarity even with hand prints left by my 4 year old daughter on the glass!Will take Viktor's and George's advice and up the dosage used,it seems like good stuff.Cheers mark

I ran that with carbon and I'm amazed at the results. Fish look like their floating.
I haven't even recharged it after 3 month use. Will most likely bleach next weekend.

Thanks Nath, when I said the bag I meant just the bag, not the 100ml bagged purigen.

Yeah mate,
I know what you meant. 'The bag' was more or less intended with use solely with purigen.

Hence the bag wont rot during recharge where cotton ones would :)

Back