• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Is it worth getting a helialux?

zoon

I’ve found a helialux spectrum fairly locally at a bargain price and wondering whether it’s worth getting for my low tech juwel tank or if it’ll be too bright and cause too many issues such as algae. I know the brightness can be reduced with the controller, but I’m worried whilst finding the right settings for my tank I’ll destroy the balance I currently have!

Currently no issues at all in heavily planted low tech tank with easy stems, crypts and epiphytes.

Will I be rocking the boat by upgrading? I’ll have to buy a separate controller as light for sale is light only. Currently have multilux LEDs

I would say that helialux is not visually brighter than multilux. I'm not sure about PAR values but I would personally not switch to helialux for the planted tank, as my personal preference is Chihiros WRGB lighting (especially their new version).

I’ve found a helialux spectrum fairly locally at a bargain price and wondering whether it’s worth getting for my low tech juwel tank or if it’ll be too bright and cause too many issues such as algae. I know the brightness can be reduced with the controller, but I’m worried whilst finding the right settings for my tank I’ll destroy the balance I currently have!

Currently no issues at all in heavily planted low tech tank with easy stems, crypts and epiphytes.

Will I be rocking the boat by upgrading? I’ll have to buy a separate controller as light for sale is light only. Currently have multilux LEDs
The Helilux is much more "fun"...
There is an issue w/ getting it and changing settings daily and willy nilly though..
Without knowing which model of each it's hard to tell if one is a par "upgrade" over the other.
534mm (21") Helilux is 27W and 140 Lumens/watt (white diodes only but most of the wattage is in white)
Multilux is a bit of an ??? Best guess is 2x 11-12W so 22-24W
They left lumens blank for some reason.

MultiLux LED 55 cm – 2x438 mm
Length533 mm
Power1x438 mm DAY & 1x438 mm NATURE
Kelvin9000/6500
Lumen-

The whites in both are equivalent as to K temp 9000/6500k
The rgb "if" sufficiently strong will add more color pop to your tank.. and can improve your CRI which is probably low with the Multilux.

Point is the 2 will (or should) look different but have about the same overall power barring newer super diodes in the Helilux.
The app control and programming can enhance ones "enjoyment" of their tank
Now one could consider it at worst a "gimmick" BUT it needs to be said.
As to your plants I doubt if it is neither an upgrade nor downgrade.

Oh also somewhat depends on the age of each..

One more thing.. this is really between the 2 lights. The Helilux has an arguably better overall spectrum but it is not ideal. Nor was the Multilux.
Now "ideal" is a bit relative..

Last edited:
Back