• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Is it just random luck?

Ok so the idea is that is you need A B and C to grow taller. If A and B are in surplus but C is scarce you will still grow but just at a slower rate.

The problem being that when we look at that with our tanks we are led to believe that if
A is light
B is carbon
C are fertilisers

That will would have an algae bloom(specific to low C)

And it's evident there's no visible algae in these tanks that are lacking.

We are clear the tanks appear to have high light (we haven't taken Par readings)
We also don't know if the co2 is timed or constantly pumping away. Meaning anything more than 1bps 24hrs a day is fairly high.

We have established the tank is a long standing one so really it makes sense.

The co2 could well be high
The light may have high lux but low par values
The fertilisers are just about enough
Meaning growth is slow but balanced* (very little agae, none or very little visible plant health deficiency)

A 'back burner tank' if you will haha.
With there skill and understanding striking a balance isn't going to be hard these guys are very good at what they do.

I'm not saying this as if I'm dead certain I'm just chucking something into the mix.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The tank is the ADA tank downstairs, it's moderately stocked with cardinal tetras.

Here is another example of an ADA tank they have upstairs.

29nayci.jpg

6p3k1j.jpg

16by8aa.jpg

Beautiful carpet, very healthy plants, and loads of pearling.

An in-tank glass diffuser with Co2 bubbles going straight to the surface of the water and then disappearing. A single outflow at the opposite end of the tank.

Tank is right next to a window, getting loads of sunlight in addition to the strong lights on the tank itself, and no algae to be seen anywhere.

What I find most ridiculous is how the Co2 bubbles go straight to the surface of the water.
except for the filter pipes

Ok so the idea is that is you need A B and C to grow taller. If A and B are in surplus but C is scarce you will still grow but just at a slower rate.
The problem being that when we look at that with our tanks we are led to believe that if
A is light
B is carbon
C are fertilisers
That will would have an algae bloom(specific to low C)
And it's evident there's no visible algae in these tanks that are lacking.
We are clear the tanks appear to have high light (we haven't taken Par readings)
We also don't know if the co2 is timed or constantly pumping away. Meaning anything more than 1bps 24hrs a day is fairly high.
We have established the tank is a long standing one so really it makes sense.
The co2 could well be high
The light may have high lux but low par values
The fertilisers are just about enough
Meaning growth is slow but balanced* (very little agae, none or very little visible plant health deficiency)
A 'back burner tank' if you will haha.
With there skill and understanding striking a balance isn't going to be hard these guys are very good at what they do.
I'm not saying this as if I'm dead certain I'm just chucking something into the mix.

Phosphate limitation is one of the best in order to not get algae due to low nutrients. If you run out of phosphates totally you will get green spot algae. So people normally tweak things in order to limit phosphates but not too much.
ADA soils also help because they contain/adsorb P which is there for the plant but not in the water column.
So, If you were to limit Nitrates then youd probably get worse results than with phosphates. Do too low nutrients cause algae in all cases? Yes but soils and different things play a role on this and this is why sometimes people get to false assumptions (they dont look at the whole picture). There is nutrients leaching out from soil, organic matter etc. And we cant really measure those nutrients very well can we? so we don know what there is in reality.

Thanks for posting this, Sacha. It's a very interesting thread and the tank in the OP is amazing.

How did "we" determine that there was high light from the photo's with no PAR values mentioned?
As I stated previously in this thread, the lighting appear's to be rather high above the tank, so maybe not high light at all =less CO2 needed.
Also with regards to CO2 ,maybe they also used EXCEL.Glut,Metricide in addition to the gas?

How did "we" determine that there was high light from the photo's with no PAR values mentioned?
As I stated previously in this thread, the lighting appear's to be rather high above the tank, so maybe not high light at all =less CO2 needed.
Also with regards to CO2 ,maybe they also used EXCEL.Glut,Metricide in addition to the gas?

Because its bright:p.

Back