• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Is a 67cm high space big enough for a 48cm high filter (JBL 1502) (and other advice please)

ojustaboo

New 126 lt aquarium (Eheim Vivaline LED 126), looking to get a new external to go with it.
( Width) 80.00 cm
(Height) 45.00 cm
(Depth) 35.00 cm

Will have a shoal of either tetra or guppies, not yet decided on which plants but it will be planted, and it wont have CO2

I've read a load of threads on here but can still not decide on my best route to take.

The JBL 902 (quotes 900 LPH) looks like it might just do? or do you think I need the extra flow rate from the 1502 (quotes 1400 LPH)?

I currently have an Eheim 2317 that I got second hand 3 years ago, unfortunately it needs a new head and they aren't available anymore. It still works but is noisy as has a lot of play where the impeller shaft fits into the head, tried new rubber, had to pack it out to get it to work. End result., it does still work, but when I clean it, it's a huge job to get the impeller turning again and it is noisy (tried new shaft etc). I think it's time I got something else, which is a shame as it has a heater.

I saw the comments on the New filter - which one? regarding the Eheim pro 4 (including youtube vid) and I appreciate the feedback to those comments from people on here effectively saying not to take too much notice of it. However, while I've had the classic style Eheim in the past and loved them, a few years back I did get a Pro 3 and had non stop problems with it making me thing the quality had gone down hill. Had the head replaced under warranty etc, still ended up with the head leaking, also found the lever to remove the pipes to be very poorly designed (and had to buy a replacement part due to it becoming harder and harder to remove for cleaning). In the end, after yet more leaks, I got so sick of it that I threw it in the bin. My wife asked me why I don't sell it, I said "because it's unfair for someone else to have this piece of crap". I appreciate there's probably loads of happy pro 3 users but the problems and perceived lack of quality following those problems, its put me off the Eheim pro series for life.

So I've decided to look for a new filter, don't feel I personally can trust the Eheim pro range (appreciate others may love them) so I'm looking for something else, I homed in on the JBL from a comment by Ian_M about the electric cost of filters per annum and the few reviews I've looked at so far seem positive, but that choice isn't set in stone.

I've also had a quick look at those filters that hang off the back, anyone any experience with those?

Will probably go the JBL canister route along with an inline filter or could maybe go for one of the Oase BioMaster Thermo (need to research those more)

What I need is ease, health doesn't allow me to get down on the floor easily and the last thing I want to do is be fighting with the filter trying to get the hoses off for cleaning.
Likewise I need reliability and replacement parts to be readily available (not just available until they release the next model)

Many thanks

Changed my mind at the last minute and bought “BioMaster Thermo 350”

Back