• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Is 120l excessive as a shrimp tank?

Ajm200

Been talking to my husband about my new 4ft tank and the fact that I’ll still need a shrimp
tank.

My current options are 12l,
25l or 120l.

He thinks 120l is excessive but I think a colony of RCS, a few amanos and a filter shrimp with 10-15 pygmy corys and a similar number of ember tetras would be great. Heavily planted

What do you think?

Do any of you have large shrimp tanks?

It doesn’t matter what size the tank is for shrimp
If you like them then the bigger the better as far as I’m concerned
So go with the big one

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

12l is too small - that's less stability and quite a small colony. 25l would make a ok shrimp only tank. Lets be honest though... it sounds like what you really want is a second planted tank, that just has a lot of shrimp in... so 120L would be perfect :D Bigger volume of water is easier to keep stable, the shrimp would breed quick... maybe you could even trade some to your lfs for credit and the tank would pay for itself.

12l is too small - that's less stability and quite a small colony. 25l would make a ok shrimp only tank. Lets be honest though... it sounds like what you really want is a second planted tank, that just has a lot of shrimp in... so 120L would be perfect :D Bigger volume of water is easier to keep stable, the shrimp would breed quick... maybe you could even trade some to your lfs for credit and the tank would pay for itself.
The 12l is currently my hospital tank. Thinking of settig it up in my garage as a place to grow on tissue culture plants

Hi
+1 for the biggest size you can get.
I am very fonnd of small fish in bigger numbers in large tanks .
It leaves you more options in future in case you change your mind about stocking and layout.
You can sneak the smaller tanks later.lol
Regards Konstantin

it sounds like what you really want is a second planted tank, that just has a lot of shrimp in... so 120L would be perfect :D Bigger volume of water is easier to keep stable, the shrimp would breed quick... maybe you could even trade some to your lfs for credit and the tank would pay for itself.

I really want the excuse to have a big group of Pygmy corys but it will be easier to get agreement for a shrimp tank than a second fish tank 😂

Yeah dont worry about it being too big (thats what she said), and have a super shrimp colony.

No such thing as too big, just makes for a more stable environment. I keep my shrimp in this 345l tank and there are probably over a 1000 of them now. Lol

832C5C44-176E-4E1D-B9AF-9742794A8FA1.jpeg

The bigger the better as far as I am concerned. The shrimps will absolutely appreciate the extra space and generally bigger tanks are easier to keep stable.

My cousin has a 5' tank with about 10 different types of shrimps in it as well as a ton of nerites, ramshorns and a couple of rabbit snails. That is it, no fish. Heavily planted like a jungle tank.

Back