• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Introduction and my first planted tank.

pat1cp

Hi Everyone, my first post here, but I have been lurking for a while trying to learn as much as I can. So thanks to all that contribute. My daughter wanted a tank so we went for a Dennerele Nano cube. Scaped and planted it on 18th September. I decided to
change the dennerele filter for a cheap HOB, I think its coming along nicely
Shrimp.jpeg
. And I think we're expecting shrimplets :)
Shrimp Tank 180921.jpeg
I
Shrip Tank 111021.jpeg

Welcome ☺️

Your tank is looking great already, congratulations on your first shrimplets!

I like the look of the three layers of substrate. Do these have a purpose? Maybe the top is weighted to keep them from floating...wish I had though of that!

I like the look of the three layers of substrate. Do these have a purpose? Maybe the top is weighted to keep them from floating...wish I had though of that!
The substrate came wih the Dennerele setup, not sure about the purpose, I'm a noob :confused:. But yeah, I quite like the effect.

Sorry for the late reply, ive had to move the tank to make way for a blumming Xmas tree. It's coming on.....slowly. I think I'll up the ferts a bit, but no real algae issues (kiss of death there) so don't want to tinker too much.

Attachments

• 20211206_213429.jpg
    20211206_213429.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 169
  • 20211206_213451.jpg
    20211206_213451.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 174
  • 20211206_222024.jpg
    20211206_222024.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 179
Looks nice. My laymans advice to remove some of the "randomness": maybe keep the middle free from the high plants or at least have them behind the wood/stones. Maybe replant them on the right side. Then you get a bit denser green bush there on the foreground, trim it so it's shorter than the red behind it.
(and i'd try if I could peel off that denerle sticker ;))

Looks nice. My laymans advice to remove some of the "randomness": maybe keep the middle free from the high plants or at least have them behind the wood/stones. Maybe replant them on the right side. Then you get a bit denser green bush there on the foreground, trim it so it's shorter than the red behind it.
(and i'd try if I could peel off that denerle sticker ;))
I shall give it go.....thanks.

I'm contemplating sticking a Betta in here. There's loads of pretty low grade shrimp in there, which I appreciate may come under attack, but there's plenty of hiding places. But obviously, I don't want the population decimated.

I've moved it next to my desk at home and thought a betta could be a nice addition........give me someone to talk to during the day :confused:

I'm still a newb and never kept a betta before, advice and opinions would be welcomed.

A betta is a really nice choice, and mine doesn't eat any of my shrimps, but apparently it's a personality thing.

Is there a lid on the tank? Bettas are known to jump out of open top tanks, which really sucks as you get so attached them. I don't have a lid on mine, but I did lower the waterline by about 4cm.

I also recommend some floating plants, my betta spends all his time at the top swimming around them, and it would make him feel more safe.

Last edited:
Back