• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Interesting

Probably not for me my friend. I do use bulbs of around 1500 lumens, but 400 sounds too low. They would also need to have an inbuilt ballast, driver, or capacitor in order to avoid pulse-width modulation, and there is no data sheet about this.

Actualy not at all, not for our purpose.. :) Depends how you look at them, i wont say utherly useless because plants grow under this light. But looking at it from aesthetical perspective the colors look worse than awfull. For growing some letuce in a dark corner of the house they might just do fine, used above a display piece it looks like plants in the red light district display cabin. Than you are at risk of Dirty Old man ringing at your door asking the price and who's in. :rolleyes:

If you want to enjoy the beauty of the plants and its true colors as a display you need to give them a as close as possible Natural White light.
In the LED industry colors given in K value still do not have a standard there for it's often specified as for example this led gives you between 5000K and 6500K as natural white. Thus with the use of LED lights specified in K color it still is trail and error to see if you like what you see since you still have a 1500K surprice factor comming with the package.

There for the higher end quality led light manufacturers specify this data with a CRI number. Color Rendition Index.. This number ranges up to 100, the closer to CRI 100 adchieves the most natural true color display.

what-is-cri-colour-rendering-index.jpg

Under the assumption you are not color blind.. :)

Last edited:
I just thought that as these are advertised as specifically for cultivation they may be ok.

The Eheim LED lamp I have is only 7W and it seems more than enough for a Nano. I’m using it on a 10L Nano at the moment but it actually came with a 35L. I’ve also Recently bought a 6000-6500K 12W chip on board LED and it’s very bright. I’d love to know how many lumens it is.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MR16-GU1...var=472539048346&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

I’ve tried it briefly in one if our lamps with an E14 fitting but I can’t find a suitable lamp I like for it at the moment.

I just thought that as these are advertised as specifically for cultivation they may be ok.

The plant doesn't mind, it will grow either way.. These so called grow lights are aimed towards the light output the plants need the most, red and blue. If or what the plant does with the rest of the spectrum is fairly unknown to us. Than if you design a light with 6 watt consumption and 400 lumen, than divide this number over the light the plant uses than you have more usefull light from the plants perspective. Because a 6 watt 400 lumen white light has the same strenght in output but less red and blue.

Thus from a power consumption and usefull output perspective with simmular lumen specs the grow light might perform a tad better than a white light with same output specs. Thus they simply work and are ok for growing plants.

But as said it has absolutely no easthetic value, it looks awfull when you use it for display purpose.. Than rather take a 800 lumen 10 watt natural white light to get to same results.

Scientist agree, the best light to grow plants is still natural white light that contains the complete spectrum. But than you're stuck with more power and more consumption to break even in usefull output.

Back